Router Issues - Recommendations?

weems

Mach Won
Established Member
Right now I have the Asus Google OnHub for my router and ~75mbps speeds. I do like the router, but I think it is causing issues with my xbox live.

The issue that I am having is getting disconnected from xbox live when I am in the middle of a game. It doesn't stay disconnected, and usually reconnects within 30 seconds, but it still boots me from the match.

What I believe is causing this is the "auto channel switching" of the on hub, problem is there is no way to disable it.

Any opinions?

What I think I am going to do is either replace the router with a nighthawk, or get one of the Google Wifi discs, put it near the xbox and hardwire it.

Blown 89

Established Member
Don't bother with consumer equipment, it's absolute garbage. If you don't need QoS get the Ubiquity Edge Router Lite and their access point and call it a day.

Getting rid of that ****ing terrible Nighthawk router was the best purchase I've ever made. Every problem I've had with wireless and my network disappeared overnight.

You will need a little technical know-how to get things going. There are plenty of tutorials on the web to get anyone with a little computer knowledge through it.

BRNG ITT

Established Member
Don't bother with consumer equipment, it's absolute garbage. If you don't need QoS get the Ubiquity Edge Router Lite and their access point and call it a day.

Getting rid of that ****ing terrible Nighthawk router was the best purchase I've ever made. Every problem I've had with wireless and my network disappeared overnight.

You will need a little technical know-how to get things going. There are plenty of tutorials on the web to get anyone with a little computer knowledge through it.

The Ubiquity Edge router looks pretty interesting

I am computer retarded, but how well do you think this router will play with my Apple Airport Extreme wireless router? I understand QoS, but I have numerous apple TVs, iPhones and iPads throughout the house using the bandwidth at any given time.

Would it be worth it to get rid of my surfboard that I have to reset every week or two? Had to do so last night after only getting about 1mbps WiFi and Ethernet on a 100mbps service.

Coiled03

Established Member

Sorry for the newb question, but how do you know if you NEED QoS? I'm interested in getting my own router to replace the trash Comcast gave me.

Machdup1

Established Member

This. Ubiquiti is great gear.

The part number for the AP is "UAP-AC-Pro-US" (this is the one that we have had great luck with, but they have others AP's as well) and the edge router is a "ERLite-3".

I've installed hundreds of their AP's and I can't remember ever having a serious issue.

Machdup1

Established Member
Sorry for the newb question, but how do you know if you NEED QoS? I'm interested in getting my own router to replace the trash Comcast gave me.
If you have an internet based phone system, Quality of Service, becomes important. If you don't, it isn't (with exceptions).

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Is there an ethernet port on your router you can plug your xbox into? Your best, and cheapest, solution to your xbox woes is to hard wire it to the internet. Faster speeds and more reliable.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Right now I have the Asus Google OnHub for my router and ~75mbps speeds. I do like the router, but I think it is causing issues with my xbox live........
What I think I am going to do is either replace the router with a Nighthawk, or get one of the Google Wifi discs, put it near the xbox and hardwire it.
If you decide you'd like to go with a Nighthawk router, I have two Nighthawk AC-1900 (R-7000) routers in perfect condition (9 months old) that I'm selling. They retail for $159.00 on Amazon and I'm selling each one for $70.00 plus Priority Mail shipping. PM me if you're interested.

Last edited:

Blown 89

Established Member
The Ubiquity Edge router looks pretty interesting

I am computer retarded, but how well do you think this router will play with my Apple Airport Extreme wireless router? I understand QoS, but I have numerous apple TVs, iPhones and iPads throughout the house using the bandwidth at any given time.

Would it be worth it to get rid of my surfboard that I have to reset every week or two? Had to do so last night after only getting about 1mbps WiFi and Ethernet on a 100mbps service.
You shouldn't have to reset your modem that often so something else might be going on. Personally, I would ditch the Airport all together and use their access points and see if that got rid of your problem. At this point I wouldn't bother mixing and matching since, like I said, consumer wifi is a cluster **** of a mess. That being said, it's not as easy as setting up what you have now.

I'm still trying to figure that out to be honest. The Edge Router Lite has QoS but it's not hardware accelerated like the throughput is. Some of their other routers do QoS better apparently but there are tradeoffs. I heard a few months ago that they could be implementing acceleration through a patch but I quit caring after setting it up and realizing I didn't need QoS. Right now my son is streaming PBS kids, my wife is streaming Netflix, I'm maxing 10 connections out with a download, and I'm streaming music and nothing is slowing down. I have QoS enabled on different hardware at my business to eliminate ghosting on our VOIP but haven't noticed it with the way we use the home network.

To give you an idea why I switched:
The Xbox, HTPC's (we have two), Chromecasts (we have three), media players, and phones were either struggling with speed or had intermittent connection drops. The phones for instance....I'd frequently turn off wifi and use Data to get clearer video images. The Chromecasts were infuriating to use and our two Surface Pro 4's were utterly useless with connection drops every 10-15 minutes so they were always hardwired. When we loaded the network with traffic things got even worse.

The Surface Pro's were frustrating us to the point that I started looking on other sites for solutions as I was under the impression their hardware was faulty. That's when I found an entire group of people going with enterprise solutions. It wasn't "enterprise solutions have worked well" it was more like, "I didn't realize consumer wifi is rubbish". I'm not kidding, ARS's review was titled; "Review: Ubiquiti UniFi made me realize how terrible consumer Wi-Fi gear is"

Setup took a few days as it's not very user friendly and there were some things I didn't understand. There was a lot of conflicting setup information but once sorting that out I fired it up and BAM, everything worked flawlessly. The phone wifi speeds doubled (increase from 30 Mbps to 67 Mbps) and our various connection and performance issues disappeared. No more reboots, no more disconnects, no more slow downs, and no more downtime. The best part is that every single device works flawlessly and I no longer want to rage smash all of my devices.

The AP's are also very nice looking...not these space ship looking things with antennas everywhere. I hardwired mine flush mounted to the ceiling and it's barely noticeable. I planned on chaining two together to cover both ends of the house and pool but one covers everything and then some.

Coiled03

Established Member
Interesting. All I know is, the load on my network should be fairly minimal. I live by myself, and can think of maybe 10 total things that are connected, only a handful of which may be using data simultaneously at any given moment.

Yet, I can be sitting literally right next to my wifi router with IPad in hand, and watch the signal drop on an app I use, for example. Restart the app, and all is well for 10 minutes, or 10 hours, it just depends. Sometimes it happens multiple times in a row. My question is, why would it EVER drop if I'm that close to the router, and have such a light network load?

Anyhow, sorry to turn this into a troubleshooting thread. Ignore this if you want, lol.

Blown 89

Established Member
I've been told that being too close to a router with strong signal will cause problems. Again, I'm not an authority on this by any means.

quad

Established Member
Interesting. All I know is, the load on my network should be fairly minimal. I live by myself, and can think of maybe 10 total things that are connected, only a handful of which may be using data simultaneously at any given moment.

Yet, I can be sitting literally right next to my wifi router with IPad in hand, and watch the signal drop on an app I use, for example. Restart the app, and all is well for 10 minutes, or 10 hours, it just depends. Sometimes it happens multiple times in a row. My question is, why would it EVER drop if I'm that close to the router, and have such a light network load?

Anyhow, sorry to turn this into a troubleshooting thread. Ignore this if you want, lol.
How many other wifi networks from neighbors are near you? Do you have a 5ghz network or 2.4? 2.4 is more vulnerable and likely to clash with other networks and there are less channels you can hop on that are not congested. 5ghz not so much but the range is not as good as 2.4. There are wifi apps that you can install on your android device that will show overlapping networks to help find the best channel to use.

Does your ISP provide a wifi router as well? Is it sitting right next to your wifi router?

blubyu87gt

Established Member
I have a R9000(?) Nighthawk. It's antennas are all wet noodle floppy so that's annoying. Otherwise it's alright. I have my Verizon hotspot bridged to is so I can use WAN, LAN, and Ethernet functionality with it. I also have it fail over to a wired connection when it inevitably loses the bridged connection. Besides randomly losing the bridged connection it hasn't given me any issues.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
How much does a router actually matter? My wife and I play online games on two computers using the router that was provided by Charter. We seem to be prone to regular ping and lag spikes that I always chalked up to internet traffic. Is this something that could actually be a router problem? Just what advantage is there to a router I purchase vs the Charter one I have?

If it matters, we connect via wire on the computers. Our other devices are wifi but we don't use too many.

Machdup1

Established Member

Do you live near an airport, police station or near a place that uses two-way radios?

bglf83

Established Member
How much does a router actually matter? My wife and I play online games on two computers using the router that was provided by Charter. We seem to be prone to regular ping and lag spikes that I always chalked up to internet traffic. Is this something that could actually be a router problem? Just what advantage is there to a router I purchase vs the Charter one I have?

If it matters, we connect via wire on the computers. Our other devices are wifi but we don't use too many.
That could be your modem as well. Especially the Arris SB6190.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Coiled03

Established Member
Do you live near an airport, police station or near a place that uses two-way radios?

Depends on how you define near. I live in a small town. The police station and fire station are both no more than 2 miles from me.

Users who are viewing this thread