Router and Modem experts Why is this happening??

Brutal Metal

Established Member
When I do a speed test connecting the modem right to my laptop I get close to 40 Mbps, wireless through the router it drops to 16Mbps? The router is about a 10 year old Netgear but I did update it's firmware online. Maybe this particular router wasn't made to handle current speeds? Any recommendations on a new one? thanks...

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Your speeds are fairly low to benefit from a top line router BUT the benefit will be that you will get those top speeds from a longer distance.

A Netgear Nighthawk or Asus AC68U would normally be my recommendation but if you dont care about the features, any budget router would be fine. Would stick to brands like Netgear and Cisco, not sure if there are any budget Asus routers.

Remember as well, if you’re next to the router, sometimes it posts slower speeds. Weird I know, for best results, be 15 feet or so away from the router.

Last edited:

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Your speeds are fairly low to benefit from a top line router BUT the benefit will be that you will get those top speeds from a longer distance.

But why am I losing 25Mbps from the router? this isn't normal right? i've never tested directly to the modem I did today cause my provider sent me a letter saying since I've been a good customer their doubling my speed. I wasn't seeing the speed they claimed I was gonna get so I called their tech dept and they said to try testing right from modem? That's were it picked up significantly.

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
I've got a D-Link Router that its about 8 or 9 years old now....

Just trying to figure out how to "shop" for a replacement....

Thought If I find a new/high-tech version of a D-Link router, would it be just "plug & play"....
I had trouble setting it up the first time....

BlueSnake01

Established Member
But why am I losing 25Mbps from the router? this isn't normal right? i've never tested directly to the modem I did today cause my provider sent me a letter saying since I've been a good customer their doubling my speed. I wasn't seeing the speed they claimed I was gonna get so I called their tech dept and they said to try testing right from modem? That's were it picked up significantly.
Could be a lot of things, could be in a crammed up channel, obstacles around it, old WiFi card, probably is on the wrong wireless mode, or was tested during high traffic hours.

Not sure what computer and equipment you have that could relate to one of those things.

earl lee

Established Member
When I do a speed test connecting the modem right to my laptop I get close to 40 Mbps, wireless through the router it drops to 16Mbps? The router is about a 10 year old Netgear but I did update it's firmware online. Maybe this particular router wasn't made to handle current speeds? Any recommendations on a new one? thanks...

This is simple, when you connect it directly to the wire your going to get the fastest speed your ISP allows. The router doesnt have to send it over the air through walls etc. It is taking it from your modem and sending it directly to your laptop.

When you connect to the wifi the modem has to take the data convert it to packets and send it over the air where it fights walls, other wifi signals and host of other things. You also advised your router is about 8 years old so you might have a N type router at best.

A new router will improve your wifi speed but even then it will not match the speed you get when you hook it up directly to the router using a Ethernet cable.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
You probably have an old 802.11g AP|router, Wireless G, and it probably has just a single 2.4Ghz radio, bandwidth/throughput while decent back in its day, sucks now. General rule of thumb is you get 50-60% of the advertised rate, in the case of Wireless G that is 54Mbps, so 24Mbps is expected, under the best of conditions maybe around 30Mbps. All that aside, buy a new AP|Router, either dual band 802.11|wirelessN or 802.11ac. Getting a dual band that supports both 2.4 and 5Ghz would best. Of course this is all for not if you have an old ass WiFi card as well.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
This is simple, when you connect it directly to the wire your going to get the fastest speed your ISP allows. The router doesnt have to send it over the air through walls etc. It is taking it from your modem and sending it directly to your laptop.

When you connect to the wifi the modem has to take the data convert it to packets and send it over the air where it fights walls, other wifi signals and host of other things. You also advised your router is about 8 years old so you might have a N type router at best.

A new router will improve your wifi speed but even then it will not match the speed you get when you hook it up directly to the router using a Ethernet cable.
He is maxing out at ~40mbps… Wireless G should be more than enough to be able to provide those speeds. His latency might be slightly slower but not by much. Of course that also depends on his range and whats around like you posted. I can get the same speeds on Wifi as wired.

OP not sure how computer savvy you are but if you know how to log in the router, change the channel signals to either 6 or 11. That should improve your speeds in range somewhat vs what you have now which is more than likely auto.

Last edited:

Brutal Metal

Established Member
You probably have an old 802.11g AP|router, Wireless G, and it probably has just a single 2.4Ghz radio, bandwidth/throughput while decent back in its day, sucks now. General rule of thumb is you get 50-60% of the advertised rate, in the case of Wireless G that is 54Mbps, so 24Mbps is expected, under the best of conditions maybe around 30Mbps. All that aside, buy a new AP|Router, either dual band 802.11|wirelessN or 802.11ac. Getting a dual band that supports both 2.4 and 5Ghz would best. Of course this is all for not if you have an old ass WiFi card as well.

Thanks for this info 03Sssnake, I've heard 5Ghz would be a better option.I've ruled out the wireless card in my laptop cause my smartphone only tests to 16Mbps also. Here's the router I currently have....

Part # Netgear WGR614 v6 on the box it says 54Mbps 2.4Ghz 802.11g manufacturer date 2005.

Brutal Metal

Established Member

OP not sure how computer savvy you are but if you know how to log in the router, change the channel signals to either 6 or 11. That should improve your speeds in range somewhat vs what you have now which is more than likely auto.
Yes I've been logged into my router before, I'm on it right here's what I see..
the wireless channel i'm on is 11 (it gives an option of 1-11) Mode is G and B together (it gives the option G only or B only)

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
speedguide.net said:
There are many wireless standards in use today, and newer technologies can bond multiple channels/frequencies together to achieve higher throughput.

First, keep in mind that in data communications, speed is measured in kilobits (or megabits) per second, designated as kbps, or Mbps. You can check our bits/bytes conversion calculator for reference.

Below is a breakdown of the various 802.11 WiFi standards and their corresponding maximum speeds. Theoretical wireless speeds (combined upstream and downstream) are as follows:
802.11b - 11 Mbps (2.4GHz)
802.11a - 54 Mbps (5 GHz)
802.11g - 54 Mbps (2.4GHz)
802.11n - 600 Mbps (2.4GHz and 5 GHz) - 150Mbps typical for network adapters, 300Mbps, 450Mbps, and 600Mbps speeds when bonding channels with some routers
802.11ac - 1300+Mbps (5 GHz) - newer standard that uses wider channels, QAM and spatial streams for higher throughput

Actual wireless speeds vary significantly from the above theoretical maximum speeds due to:
distance - distance from the access point, as well as any physical obstructions, such as walls, signal-blocking or reflecting materials affect signal propagation and reduce speed
interference - other wireless networks and devices in the same frequency in the same area affect performance
shared bandwidth - available bandwidth is shared between all users on the same wireless network.

In addition, net IP layer throughput of WiFi is typically 60% of the air link rate due to WiFi being half-duplex with ACKs, and being CSMA/CA. The number of simultaneous connections, and even the type of wireless security can affect and slow down some older routers with inadequate processors/memory.

Below is a breakdown of actual real-life average speeds you can expect from wireless routers within a reasonable distance, with low interference and small number of simultaneous clients:
802.11b - 2-3 Mbps downstream, up to 5-6 Mbps with some vendor-specific extensions.
802.11g - ~20 Mbps downstream
802.11n - 40-50 Mbps typical, varying greatly depending on configuration, whether it is mixed or N-only network, the number of bonded channels, etc. Specifying a channel, and using 40MHz channels can help achieve 70-80Mbps with some newer routers. Up to 100 Mbps achievable with more expensive commercial equipment with 8x8 arrays, gigabit ports, etc.
802.11ac - 70-100+ Mbps typical, higher speeds possible over short distances without many obstacles, with newer generation 802.11ac routers, and client adapters capable of multiple streams.
03Sssnake is right, you need a new router.

Users who are viewing this thread