Roush shift knob on Boss alcantara boot

Lemonth

Established Member
Hey guys, I was just curious if anyone else has done this and how it turned out. I bought an alcantara shift boot that was for the Boss, meaning that the opening is more narrow. So I had to take the retaining ring off the original leather boot and swap it with the retained from the new one. I've had this Roush knob since I've owned the car and it was given to me by a friend and I just love how it feels in the hand. I feel like I may have cut a little too much off because there's a bit more tension on it when it's in gear (1, 3, 5) then I would like, but it hasn't caused any issues at all. What do you guys think? Has anyone else done this before with good results?

pOanv9Tm.jpg

luil7Aym.jpg

mSJozpym.jpg

Last edited:

kdaly

Established Member
I did mine with the MGW and Alcantara Boss Boot and love it. What did you cut? By looking at the pics the boot isnt allowing you to get into the forward gears as easy due to length of boot constraints. I'll have to look at mine when I get home.

imeyers302

Established Member
I did mine with the MGW and Alcantara Boss Boot and love it. What did you cut? By looking at the pics the boot isnt allowing you to get into the forward gears as easy due to length of boot constraints. I'll have to look at mine when I get home.

Just did mine also with the MGW. Also installed the matching e-brake boot and Boss 302 Alcantara Steering wheel. Just had to get a different jam nut piece for shifter.

temp image upload

Last edited:

Lemonth

Established Member

I had to trim a bit off the top to be able to change the retainers. The boss came with a much thinner one like the one in my first picture, the knob I used was a wider base and needed the bigger retainer like the second pic:
IMG_1693_zps732190df.jpg

lrs-7277aa_5181.jpg

imeyers302:

Your interior looks killer! Nice and clean. I need to get the Boss steering wheel and parking brake boot soon. Are those the leather Recaros?

imeyers302

Established Member
I had to trim a bit off the top to be able to change the retainers. The boss came with a much thinner one like the one in my first picture, the knob I used was a wider base and needed the bigger retainer like the second pic:

imeyers302:

Your interior looks killer! Nice and clean. I need to get the Boss steering wheel and parking brake boot soon. Are those the leather Recaros?

Yes. Those are the factory leather Recaros.

Users who are viewing this thread