Roush phase 1 upgrades

1quick

Established Member
I have a roush phase one package on my 16gt and was going to do a phase 2 package but being as it's currently backordered and the roush tune isn't very impressive, I was thinking about just piecing together my own and having Lund do the tune, the phase 2 uses an 80mm pulley, will a 79mm pulley and a retune require larger injectors? I was planning to just do a vmp bap, 79mm pulley the iat2 sensor vmp sells, and a Lund tune with ngk plugs, not sure what the plugs need to be gapped at either, car is an auto would that set up get me mid to upper 600's whp?

mixedup

Established Member
2016 Mustang with Roush SC

I have a roush phase one package on my 16gt and was going to do a phase 2 package but being as it's currently backordered and the roush tune isn't very impressive, I was thinking about just piecing together my own and having Lund do the tune, the phase 2 uses an 80mm pulley, will a 79mm pulley and a retune require larger injectors? I was planning to just do a vmp bap, 79mm pulley the iat2 sensor vmp sells, and a Lund tune with ngk plugs, not sure what the plugs need to be gapped at either, car is an auto would that set up get me mid to upper 600's whp?

I too have your set up - 2016 GT Auto with 670 kit - made the car night and day different in the driving, but want more now. I also spent the $995 for the Roush "back up warranty."

Last week I asked the installing dealer if the 727 kit install if I could get my warranty prorated refunded - have not heard back from them yet.

Fast forward, tonight I go to the dealer's Roush site and see the 727 kit is "now warranty available" (was not when a few months back) but is now out of stock ....

So I too an in the delima of to stay with Roush or go with aftermarket tuner .... Lund seems top of what I see, open to others thoughts of where to get a tune. (I also bought a NGauge from a guy who got out of his Mustang.)

I also hear that the Lund Tune will enhance the throttle reponse - anyone with experience please reply ...

Please post up, this set up experiences .....

dntalman

Yella Terra
Established Member
I would go with a Lund or Palm Beach Dyno Tune (Ken Bejonnes) Here is what I added to my Phase 1 kit.. I call this the STAGE 3 Hellcat Killer Some say you can run the Roush injectors with the 79mm.. I have owned several Cobra's with big blowers... Personally, I think you need larger injectors for safety and HP..
VMP TWIN 67mm TB
VMP THREE ROW HEAT EXCHANGER WITH DUAL FANS
VMP 79mm pulley
VMP BOOST A PUMP
VMP 90mm idler
ID1000 injectors

Last edited:

Zemedici

Established Member
I would go with a custom dyno tune as long as you have some faith in whomever installed your kit. The blowers don't have many issues, to be honest. I've seen them run HARD for thousands of miles, no worries. My shop has tuned some Roush blower cars and they can make some decent power for a smaller blower.

What injectors are in the car now?

Flippmode

Lifes too short to drive boring cars!
Established Member
I own a 2015pp with roush phase,2 that put down 610rwhp on a Mustang dyno.I did some upgrades still getting everything dialed in on the tune with datalogs with Joe at Vmp.
UPGRADES,
LTH
67MM TB
ID1000
RETURN STYLE FUEL SYSTEM
E85
79MM PULLEY
I had my baby in shop getting Installed MMR oil pump,crankshaft gears. We are not finish data logging yet but a did a few pulls on mustang dyno anyways in 110 Az weather and put down 680rwhp with hopefully more hp once tune is all dialed in.let me tell you night and day difference with power and the throttle response OMG its a rocket ship.I would recommend Vmp to anyone looking to get more out there Tvs they have been nothing but outstanding with everything.

Last edited:

JasinEdward

Established Member
I just got done datalogging with Lund and can't say enough positive things about the experience. I have a phase 1 Roush automatic. The car ran an 11.7@123 on the 627hp tune. It was upgraded to the 670hp tune but never ran at the strip. This Lund tune makes the car feel almost 50% faster. No joke. It'll probably trap around 127-129 now in good weather. The driveability is awesome too. With the Roush tune, every time I started to get the tires loose it killed power, even with the advancetrac off. It doesn't kill power anymore and barks the tires going into 3rd. I love it!

1quick

Established Member
I own a 2015pp with roush phase,2 that put down 610rwhp on a Mustang dyno.I did some upgrades still getting everything dialed in on the tune with datalogs with Joe at Vmp.
UPGRADES,
LTH
67MM TB
ID1000
RETURN STYLE FUEL SYSTEM
E85
79MM PULLEY
I had my baby in shop getting Installed MMR oil pump,crankshaft gears. We are not finish data logging yet but a did a few pulls on mustang dyno anyways in 110 Az weather and put down 680rwhp with hopefully more hp once tune is all dialed in.let me tell you night and day difference with power and the throttle response OMG its a rocket ship.I would recommend Vmp to anyone looking to get more out there Tvs they have been nothing but outstanding with everything.

How long have you been working on the data logs? I sent one in 8 days ago and haven't herd anything back I called the other day to make sure they didn't forget about me and he told me I'd have one by the next morning at the latest, that was 4 days ago still nothing

Flippmode

Established Member
I have had 6 revised tunes in about 2 1/2 weeks I would suggest whoever is doing it to call them often and be a bug in their ear I know they get really busy I usually call everyday or every other day and make sure I talk with joe directly being he is doing my tune it's kinda pain but squeaky wheel gets the grease wish you best luck

bellstang

I have a Roush stage one as well. I've only had it for three weeks and I am not impressed. It's going to Brenspeed in two weeks for some upgrades and a custom calibration.

1quick

Established Member
Have your gotten this done? If so, thoughts on new setup please.
I have, tune just got finished up yesterday, it's a totally different car now nice hard shifts, it feels like it picked up 100+whp over the roush tune and it probably did it will spin the tires on the 2-3 shift a little now right around 80mph

Flippmode

Established Member
I finished up my tune with VMP and Did a few more pulls on the Mustang dyno.My car put down 706rwhp and 575tq. I'm very impressed with those numbers not bad for street car.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I finished up my tune with VMP and Did a few more pulls on the Mustang dyno.My car put down 706rwhp and 575tq. I'm very impressed with those numbers not bad for street car.

Wow, that is very nice!
Do you have a dyno slip? I'd love to see it. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread