roush or kenne bell

hot1le

Established Member
As the title says should I get the roush or kenne bell supercharger? I have been searching all the forums and cant make up my mind. I have seen some really good numbers posted from the roush, but not alot from the kenne bell. Is the KB not a good option on the new 5.0 or is it that just not many are running it. My goals are to have a fast daily driver that has the potential to go 9's when I get a forged bottom end. I also want my car to stay streetable. If there is a better option feel free to let me know thanks.

davidhuff

Established Member
For a daily driver the Roush supercharger kit would be my pick.JMO
Whipple makes a great supercharger kit also.

Last edited:

2011redcandy

Established Member
I have been looking at both these kits. I am leaning towards the KB. The kenne bell comes standard with a HUGE dual pass heat exchanger, the roush does not. The KB has a lot more max hp potential if you ever build the block.

The looks of the black billett KB are killer compared to the ugly cast housing of the roush/whipple. No intake upgrade is needed with the KB like the roush.

davidhuff

Established Member
I think Chris Cruz/Evolution has gone 9.70ET 145MPH with a 2.9 Whipple Supercharger with a built motor on drag radials.That would be a great choice if your plans are to build a motor in the future.

implosive

Established Member
KB has way more big hp potential. While your motor is stock you can run the KB at relatively low boost and still make great power. Plus the other great things mentioned above. You see more about the roush, simply because its cheaper by a good margin. Most of us are just looking for a quick 10 second daily on stock motor which the roush will do every time. The roush has gone 9s as well so it can get you to your goals. But if you have the $$ for the KB I would go that route for sure

2011redcandy

Established Member
Actually, the KB isnt much more.

Roush 5899+350 for JLT +400-700 for upgraded Afco HE that is as good as the KB....total about 7k.

KB 2.8LC complete kit with injectors, tune and tuner.....6800 for Evolution.

Also, no grinding of the timing cover is needed on the KB like the whipple/roush

Chuck@Evolution

Established Member
I think Chris Cruz/Evolution has gone 9.70ET 145MPH with a 2.9 Whipple Supercharger with a built motor on drag radials.That would be a great choice if your plans are to build a motor in the future.

That is correct. It was on 20" NT05Rs, and weight just over 4000lbs with driver when it did that as well.

Before the built motor, the car went 9.8's on slicks and skinnies with the 2.3 whipple.

lsp408

Established Member
The only negative on kb is the big ass hole you have to cut on the driver fender so the air filter can get cold air

Last edited:

Bud

Established Member
8rib setup available for the Kenne Bell too if a person eventually goes big. I'm sure us whipple and roush guys will get 8rib setups someday but that is a + in the kenne bell category currently.

sonic2003gt

Established Member
I have a Roushcharger and the engineering is top notch and the kit looks OEM. I have a VMP tune and 82mm pulley and the car drives like its stock. I could let you fire it up, drive it around, and you would never know the Roushcharger is there........until you punch it!!!!:beer:

p1170643.jpg

By mtstvnsn at 2012-03-04

kingnut

Established Member
if your gonna forge the bottom end its a no brainer to go with the KB 2.8. you will have more room boost in the future. i think alot of people pick the roush because it is cheaper, easier to turn than the 2.8, and puts down great numbers for those keeping stock internals.

03dsgdreams

Established Member
I think the roush is the most factory looking set up with the whipple coming in at a close second. The kenne bell definitely looks like an after market set up, its not what a blown 5.0 would look like if ford offered one from the factory. My comment obviously has nothing to do with performance just the looks/fit and finish.

kevinp

Established Member
if your gonna forge the bottom end its a no brainer to go with the KB 2.8. you will have more room boost in the future. i think alot of people pick the roush because it is cheaper, easier to turn than the 2.8, and puts down great numbers for those keeping stock internals.

+1

You dont bolt on 11.5 x 29 slicks on your daily driver because they fit and you may need them in the future :)

Couple bigger power PD blower options over the Roush, not to mention, centris, turbos, nitrous as well.

I picked the Roush because I wanted OE quality and a true 10 second daily driver, for that it works for me I will never go past the 47lb injectors or 9.5psi with the 82mm pulley.

But thats not for everyone, I'm on the right side of the 'I have to impress everyone with how fast my car is' bell curve, if you are on the left side of that curve by all means get the biggest and the baddest right off the bat - its way easier to slow down a large blower than make a smaller one flow more air than it was designed to move efficiently if you plan on making big power down the road.

99mstng

Established Member
I prefer the KB also,,nice kit and it comes with the Intercooler

The primary components of this 2011-2012 ROUSH TVS R2300 Supercharger Kit includes:

■ROUSH R2300 TVS supercharger
■Lower and upper intake manifolds
■90mm supercharger pulley (generating approximately 9-10 PSI of boost)
■Fuel charging assembly
■High-flow fuel rail with 47-lb fuel injectors
■Twin 60mm throttle body
■Aluminum bifurcated throttle spacer
■Heavy duty, first sheave FEAD system
■High capacity and efficiency air-to-water intercooler system
■High Efficiency, full face intercooler low temp radiator
■Large capacity intercooler de-gas bottle

■ROUSH low restriction air induction system
■All required wiring, brackets, hoses, harnesses, and clamps

Last edited:

SicShelby09

Banned
There is no need to compare the TS blower to a TVS or roots. The twin screw is and always will be more efficient. Why would you go with a less efficient blower if you dont have to. If the KB or Whipple is a choice, then there is no need to look at the others. The twin screws are the best, and will make more power with lower IATs and less boost. Case closed.

kevinp

Established Member
There is no need to compare the TS blower to a TVS or roots. The twin screw is and always will be more efficient. Why would you go with a less efficient blower if you dont have to. If the KB or Whipple is a choice, then there is no need to look at the others. The twin screws are the best, and will make more power with lower IATs and less boost. Case closed.

In theory a twin screw should be more efficient, but I dont see a 2.3 whipple making any more power than a 2.3 TVS on one of these..

hot1le

Established Member
Thanks for all the great replies. I guess the whole reason for my question was that I see alot of great times posted with the roush. I havent seen many times posted with the kenne bell, and the ones I have seen were not as impressive as I would have thought. I Guess its because at 8 lbs or so the kenne bell is not in its efficiency zone. I called kenne bell and the Rep told me that you really need to make about 14lbs before you are in the 2.8's sweet spot. I just dont have the cash to do a forged bottom end and blower all at once. In the end I will probably do the 2.8 and just save for the forged internals so that I can up the boost.

Spd2Stang

I just WOT in my pants
Established Member
Thanks for all the great replies. I guess the whole reason for my question was that I see alot of great times posted with the roush. I havent seen many times posted with the kenne bell, and the ones I have seen were not as impressive as I would have thought. I Guess its because at 8 lbs or so the kenne bell is not in its efficiency zone. I called kenne bell and the Rep told me that you really need to make about 14lbs before you are in the 2.8's sweet spot. I just dont have the cash to do a forged bottom end and blower all at once. In the end I will probably do the 2.8 and just save for the forged internals so that I can up the boost.

I like the KB,

mods in video

[youtube_browser]hkzjBxvoI2w[/youtube_browser]

SaleenGT2001

Established Member
Actually, the KB isnt much more.

Roush 5899+350 for JLT +400-700 for upgraded Afco HE that is as good as the KB....total about 7k.

KB 2.8LC complete kit with injectors, tune and tuner.....6800 for Evolution.

Also, no grinding of the timing cover is needed on the KB like the whipple/roush

got my KB kit with the liquid cooled blower option for a good bit less than $6800:D

The only negative on kb is the big ass hole you have to cut on the driver fender so the air filter can get cold air

you mean the hole you will never see once the kit is installed and the factory air box would cover if you went back stock? yea, not such a big deal

165391f3.jpg

this is on 10 psi with no mods other than blower, O/R H pipe and Kooks axle back
39c32d3a.jpg

a6e3adeb.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread