Roush Bumper and grill install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jivefive0

Established Member
Hey Everyone, just wanted to share since I was planning on putting this bumper on and fog delete. This is a step by step on what I did, so i hope you all like it. This is my first Write up so please be kind if you see me mess something up :D

ok here is a pic of my kona blue stang stock.
036.jpg

First start off by putting down some protection, like a old heavy blanket or in my case the foam sheets the Roush bumper came in. this way you wont scratch anything and if it does fall it will have a buffer between this and the ground.

047.jpg

Next remove the push pins from the plastic panel that covers the radiator. there should be eight total. to remove just use a flat head screw driver and pop the middle button part first then you can take out the rest.

048.jpg

050.jpg

051.jpg

Remove the plastic cover and put aside

052.jpg

Next with a 8mm socket remove the 2 left and right screws that are right next to the center grill.

049.jpg

053.jpg

You can then carefully lift and pry the post towards you, this will allow you to get your hand behind the fog lights and disconnect them from the harness.

054.jpg

055.jpg

069.jpg

070.jpg

you can then go toward the bottom of the bumper and if you got a forked plastic removal tool, use that to careful pry the temp sensor out of the bumper and let it hang loose for now. If you dont have one you can use a flat head but be very careful not to scratch or damage this thing.

060.jpg

once that is free, you have the choice to either jack up your car if its a little low or if you can get under the bumper and still have room to work, its all up to you. but i had to lift my ride so i can have enough room to work. Please use a Jackstand if you do this, safety always first fellas! :D
ok well get under the bumper, there are going to be about 9 screws you need to remove, using a 5.5mm socket ( or #7 if you have craftsman tools)
this is including the screws in the wheel well. Im pointing to the semi-hidden screws positions.

058.jpg

059.jpg

061.jpg

064.jpg

071.jpg

072.jpg

After you removed all of the screws you can pry the splash shield from the car.

065.jpg

after this you should be able to see the side marker lamps and their connections. disconnect them.

066.jpg

067.jpg

Now back up top to the center grill. there are about 10 tabs that hold this grill to the bumper. I have to say these are beasts to get out. but i finally figured it out. start at one corner, if you pull back the post you should be able to see the first 2 tabs. using either a pry tool or carefully with a screwdriver, pry the top tab away from you. if you notice the tabs are like half arrow heads designed to "catch" on to the bumper. So if you can push those out, the rest of the grill will release with a slight pull. you then should just end up with the other post corner hanging on and you just do the same there.

074.jpg

073.jpg

075.jpg

Now put that aside for now, this is where if you have help it makes it waay easier. I did not so you can now see my pain :p jk, i actually put a stool with towel over it to hold up the bumper once i released it from the car. pick a corner and what your going to do is wrap you fingers around the edge and pull the bumper toward you. it should break loose from the retainers.

076.jpg

077.jpg

078.jpg

Now you can remove the stock bumper and put it on something soft so it wont scratch. You can then remove the side markers with deep 10mm socket.
and place them on the new Roush bumper.

079.jpg

080.jpg

I decided to go with the grill delete but also wanted to keep my fogs lights so with the roush fogs being the same bulb as the stock ones ( H10) I am just going to extend my stock wires down to the new fog light positions. So the next set of pics are me doing just that.

finding the fog wire and opening it up from the protective sleeve.

081.jpg

083.jpg

Using a soldering Iron, wire strippers heat shrink, electric tape and extra wire, I cut the fog connector off then measure out some wire. I did this a little long just incase, i rather have more than less. Just wanted to make sure the wire had enough line to make it to the fog and not be pulling or anything like that.

084.jpg

085.jpg

082.jpg

087.jpg

Soldering the wires. I know this is pretty anal here but i rather take the time to do it right now, then later have it get messed up and me have to pull apart everything again. I put a heat shrink tube before i solder them so when it was done i put heat shrink on, then re-enforced with electric tape. Oh if you do solder, make sure to have something like the tin foil basket i have in the pics handy. this will prevent any missed solder from falling on your car or yourself.

088.jpg

089.jpg

090.jpg

Finished Product. I zip tied the 2 lines as well so they wouldnt be all over the place underneath.

091.jpg

092.jpg

Now you can install your fogs into the bumper and tighten the 4 screws on the sides of it. remember to get the orientation right when you put them in. the plugs should be pointing down.

093.jpg

094.jpg

Now with the grill delete, I still needed to use the cowl that was the outer part of the center grill. So i had to remove the inner grill that held unto the old fog lights. start by removing the screws that hold the fogs in

095.jpg

Then just like the bumper there are several tabs holding unto the cowl.
Be very careful with these, i have to admit i broke a few just trying to get it out. The best way is to start with the middle circles first and pry those out then work on the tabs.

096.jpg

097.jpg

finally got it out...WHEW!

098.jpg

Now with this grill from Stack racing, it requires you to drill your cowl so you can put on the mounting hardware on. test fit the grill then mark it and then drill the holes necessary.

099.jpg

100.jpg

101.jpg

104.jpg

103.jpg

105.jpg

106.jpg

Once that is complete you can put on your New Roush bumper by going in reverse from the removal of it. then feed your new fog wires down and away from any moving parts to the fog lights connect them and since your down there, connect the side marker lights as well. With the temp sensor you will see it is attached with a grey plastic screw. pry that off and place the sensor into that same hole instead. Since the roush bumper doesnt have a place to put it, you can place it here so it can still read temps.

IMG_0304.jpg

IMG_0305.jpg

This would be a good time to test to make sure your fogs are now working with your stock switch.
once everything looks good,

Re-attach the splash guard with the bottom screws and the wheel well screws. then put down some towels to protect the top from the install of your new center grill.

107.jpg

then put in the center grill starting at one corner again and pushing it into the post. once you hear it click, do the same to the other side. once that is complete, you can install the post screws, then the plastic cover and then the push pins.

step back and pat your self on the back your done!:nice:

108.jpg

took off flash so you can see the lights

111.jpg

112.jpg

114.jpg

Ill get more pics of it in the sun.

thanks and please let me know if this helps or not.

Adding these pics of it in the sun below;

IMG_0316.jpg

IMG_0315.jpg

IMG_0308.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread