Roush axle back with o/r X pipe

snkbitten6

Established Member
I have a 12 roush with the roush square tips. Car sounds awesome, but I want the performance of the off road x pipe... Is this set up to loud to street drive? I have access to stock gt mufflers, I could take and cut my roush tips off and put them onto the gt mufflers and run the x pipe... Do you think that is my best option?? New to the 5.0 world. But I've had a 04 mystic and a build mach 1. Thanks

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
On cold start up my car would let off a crack that echoed off of my neighbors house. It was loud and didnt sound good at all.

Sell the square tips and pick up gt500's with the off road x.

snkbitten6

Established Member
I want to keep the Roush look... I'll cut the tips off and put them onto something else before I get rid of them. I've just heard the Roush muffler is to loud with an off-road set up. My dad has quad tip gt500's with lethal offroad x and sounds great.

FIVEHOE

Established Member
So are you asking to ditch the roush's or ditch your x pipe? I would personally ditch the roush's and go for something a little less raspy

snkbitten6

Established Member
I'm saying should I just do the GT500 mod to the GT mufflers and weld on my roush square tips. I want to keep that look out the back. And then do the off road x pipe.

Was mostly asking if roush' sound THAT bad with and off road set up lol.

Rct851

Established Member
Like others have said... Strictly wide open its great cause racecar. But practiy driving around its too much. When I had that setup I was always worried about getting stuck at a light with a cop behind me

blcoonrod

Established Member
I guess youtube videos don't do justice to how loud that set up really is. I have Roush's now and highly considering a ORH.

Led_Zep

Don't tread on me
Established Member
I have Roush AB with resonator deletes. It sounds awesome right now, but putting an off-road x on next week so I have resonators going back on, that or the MBRP catback I'm undecided.

Tuffnuts23

Established Member
I have Roush AB with resonator deletes. It sounds awesome right now, but putting an off-road x on next week so I have resonators going back on, that or the MBRP catback I'm undecided.

The resonators are not going to help you once you ditch the cats, don't even bother. It's still way too loud for a DD

T's03GT

#Team5bro
Established Member
After hearing how loud my car is with the O/R X and Bassani's, I couldn't even imagine dailying my car with Roush AB's and an O/R X. That would be obnoxious.

vortecd

Established Member
It would be loud. I also like the Roush square tip look. I had the roush axle back on mine and put the stock mufflers back on before I did the cat deletes. I like quiet cars though and the Roush was already on the loud side for me. The tips will not fit the stock mufflers from the axle back kit. Roush cuts the factory GT mufflers tips and uses a 3 1/2" inlet square tips they slide on from the factory. The Roush axle back tips are 2 1/2". I was able to find some 3 1/2" tips on ebay and cut my factory mufflers tips. You may also find some take off mufflers from a Roush with the tips. I have been in the Roush factory a few times and that is what they do

vortecd

Established Member
You have a '12 and mine is a '13 and I know the tips are different. I have seen the '12 tips on ebay

CobraVenom01

Established Member
Premium Member
It sounds horrible. I'm really bummed out. I had just roush axle backs and it sounded great, put an O/R h pipe on when I installed the novi and it's way way to loud and its a really bad sound. Sounds like a damn dump truck. Not sure what I'm going to switch to

94_Vert

Established Member
I have cat deletes, and roush a/b. Way too loud and not a good loud. I'm going with a mac a/b next week, I'll let you know how it sounds. It was between the gt500 and the mac. When I had a foxbody, mac had a really good muffler, so I'm going to give them a try. All of the research I've done says the mac should sound good.

Led_Zep

Don't tread on me
Established Member
I ended up leaving the Roush ab on with no resonators. Installed lts and off-road x, and it's awesome. It's also my weekend car so I don't get annoyed by it driving daily.

DaBigBone

Established Member
I almost went with an O/R X for my Roush until I heard it in person.. Immediately changed my mind

Users who are viewing this thread