Rough Shifting

coffeebowl

Established Member
Has anyone experienced rough shifting with their Barton Short Throw?
Reverse in insanely difficult to get into. There is some difficulty shifting into 1st (not always) and sometimes it is difficult to pull 2nd out of gear when i'm coming to a complete stop. 4th sometimes feels like it's sticking when i'm shifting into 5th. The shifter boot is properly secured. I tried adjusting the shifter itself with no luck.

I have a McLeod RST Clutch and MT82 by the way

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
My car has T56 Magnum XL and I love that tranny/shifter. I also have RST clutch and one thing I've noticed about that clutch is my left foot has to be pressing all the way to the floor when shifting, otherwise I get 'notchy' shifting, especially when cold. So perhaps your issue could be mostly solved by being sure to depress the clutch all the way, or maybe an adjustment of the clutch might help. I think the dual-disc clutch might require more travel to completely release, versus a standard single disc setup.

Last year I drove a friend's supercharged MT82 car with Barton shifter and had lots of trouble shifting, even tho I've been banging gears for almost 40 years, haha. That 15-minute drive convinced me to NEVER install a Barton short-throw shifter.

Anyway, that's just my thoughts. Good luck with it.

Users who are viewing this thread