Rough idle, then stalls.

96Belle

Not quite a tune question but I've got an issue that I can not figure out. Two days ago, the car ran fine with no issues... parked it and went to work. When it was time to leave, my car would start up, then idle extremely rough, then stall out. During the ignition, a light greyish smoke was pouring out the exhaust.

I ran the diagnostics and came back with a P0402 (Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow (EGR) Excessive Detected) error code. Since then, I've replaced the EGR Valve and the DPFE Sensor and I'm still having the same issue. I've pulled both lines from the Sensor to make sure there was no blockage and cleaned with carb cleaner. I've pulled the vacuum hose from the EGR to check if there was suction and from what I could tell, it was pulling some air. I have no tool to measure the vacuum pressure.

After this, I've pulled air intake and cleaned the throttle body with the carb cleaner. This yielded a better result but it was only temporary. It almost seemed like it was burning the carb cleaner and that was what was making the car run better.

Any other ideas on what I should be checking? The car is parked in my driveway and wont stay running long enough to even back it out, let alone drive to a mechanic. I've done no upgrades, or tunes lately to cause this issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Did you make sure all the vacuum lines are connected and in good shape? Did you try cleaning the IAC?

96Belle

I didnt have time to look at it last night but from what I saw over the weekend, it appears as though all the vacuum lines where in good condition. I am also throwing a o2 sensor error code in the up stream, on bank #2 I believe. Do you think that has something to do with it as well. I'm running an off-road H-pipe with no cats.

01yellercobra

Established Member
A bad O2 sensor will cause the car not to run right. The computer relies on it to make adjustments to the A/F. If the computer is getting the wrong info then it won't be able to adjust correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread