Roofing my house.

kbroush

Established Member
Well I bit the bullet and bought all my shingles, felt, ice barrier, drip rails and new roof vents. I had our local menards deliver all of it. I'm contemplating on doing gutters at the same time. Would it be just as easy to do gutters at another time or should I knock it all out at once. I'm just going to have a couple friends help when it warms up so I may be limited on time. My gutters are OK but should get replaced this year.

cbradley49

Established Member
Gutters wont be a problem after you've already re-roofed your house. Guess it just depends on how much time you have

PaladinMan187

Ford/Subaru Parts Guru
Established Member
If you have to do a tear off *sounds like you do seeing as you bought felt* that might just kick your butt and not let you have the energy or time to do it. How big of a roof are we talking here and how much guttering/how high are we talking here?

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
Make sure and go with at least a 6" "K" style gutter and 3x4" downspout, anything less and you're wasting your money and time. I would also suggest replacing any questionable fascia board and then go with a hidden hanger instead of spike & ferrule. It makes the job go faster and they hold up much better over time. If you intend on doing this yourself I assume you know how and what measurements you need. Take them to a sheet metal fabricator and have seamless gutters run off or have someone bring their machine and run them at your house. Get your end caps, outlets, elbows (A or B style unless you're doing half round and you can disregard my comment about the hidden hangers), downspout (you can have these run seamless also if you would like or buy in 10' sections as is the norm for most), miters (inside/outside unless making your own), a tube or 2 of Parbond sealant, rivet gun/rivets, and some sheet metal screws and go to town. If you need any help feel free to PM about specifics. If you have long runs and/or high heights then 2 men at least are a must so get a buddy or 3. Good luck and I'm sure it will come out nice.

*EDIT* I missed the actual question like a dummy. If you're halfway competent which I assume you to be since you're doing the roof also, with a couple buddies and the gutters already pre-run, a 1/2 to 3/4 day is easily doable imho. We used to do 2/3 houses per day pretty easily with a 2/3 man crew depending on the job size.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Make sure and go with at least a 6" "K" style gutter and 3x4" downspout, anything less and you're wasting your money and time. I would also suggest replacing any questionable fascia board and then go with a hidden hanger instead of spike & ferrule. It makes the job go faster and they hold up much better over time. If you intend on doing this yourself I assume you know how and what measurements you need. Take them to a sheet metal fabricator and have seamless gutters run off or have someone bring their machine and run them at your house. Get your end caps, outlets, elbows (A or B style unless you're doing half round and you can disregard my comment about the hidden hangers), downspout (you can have these run seamless also if you would like or buy in 10' sections as is the norm for most), miters (inside/outside unless making your own), a tube or 2 of Parbond sealant, rivet gun/rivets, and some sheet metal screws and go to town. If you need any help feel free to PM about specifics. If you have long runs and/or high heights then 2 men at least are a must so get a buddy or 3. Good luck and I'm sure it will come out nice.

Yeah, definitely go with hidden hangers. I had my front gutters replaced in the Fall and they went with the hidden hangers. So much better, and it results in a much neater appearance. Took the installer about 4 hours to do the install.

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah, definitely go with hidden hangers. I had my front gutters replaced in the Fall and they went with the hidden hangers. So much better, and it results in a much neater appearance. Took the installer about 4 hours to do the install.

Absolutely, and it doesn't hurt having that 3" screw into the rafter tail that won't back out as opposed to a spike that overtime will. Helps to keep the gutters from sagging as well, provided they are cleaned regularly or have some form of screen/gutter topper/etc. on them.

oldmodman

Established Member
Are going to be stripping of the underlayment at the same time?

When I did my roof I stripped it right down to the rafters and blew in a lot more insulation. Then put down tongue and grove plywood and laid the roof over that. Also added three whirlybird turbine roof vents. It cut mt AC bills by over 50%

kbroush

Established Member
My underlayment looks to be in good condition from looking in the attic. It may be a different story when I start tearing it off. My roof is 29 square so its s decent size project for me. The gutters I have now have the spikes in them and they like to pop out. I might wait for a good sale at menards and do the gutters in the fall. I will see how I feel after doing my roof in a couple weeks lol. I planned on aluminum gutters for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread