Romeo to close...

kilomikebravo

Established Member
No union jobs were affected for quite some time..

Almost certainly because the union employees had a contract that prevented the company from doing whatever they wanted. And let me guess, eventually, union workers were affected?

Companies couldn't care less about seniority or time in service and if they could eliminate the most expensive employees anytime they wanted, there WOULD be no high-paying jobs.

SlowShelby_TX

Established Member
Almost certainly because the union employees had a contract that prevented the company from doing whatever they wanted. And let me guess, eventually, union workers were affected?

Companies couldn't care less about seniority or time in service and if they could eliminate the most expensive employees anytime they wanted, there WOULD be no high-paying jobs.

The rest of public and private companies operate this way. That is why you differentiate yourself and perform a skill that is in valued or obtain the education. Why does it make sense pay someone more to do the same job if they don't offer something greater? You do realize that is a driving factor for manufacturing jobs leaving the US right?

kilomikebravo

Established Member
The only reason any company moves production to another country is because those folks will work for 1930's wages. Why, because their standard of living is also about the same and a dollar's worth of pay goes a heckuva lot further than it does in Detroit. But the company doesn't care. What they want to rid themselves of are those highly-paid, UNION employees.

And no, "the rest" most certainly do NOT operate this way. Some do but there are companies who do care about their employees as much as they do the business.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life

" Romeo to close... "....................Their union agreed to this !!

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I was in the skilled trades for nearly thirty years. Walked plenty of picket lines. Was an elected officer at one point. Got into a fight on a job just prior to 16 indictments being handed down to another labor organization that targeted myself and others. Was subpoenaed by the US Attorney's office to testify in Federal Court. In a nutshell, I've been around the block with respect to organized labor. The UAW isn't what it used to be and neither is Ford. I don't think either is capable of fighting the way they did in years past.

Simply put, they compromised and it will work well for both in the short term. What happened in Romeo shows insight into Ford's future plans - probably not good for uber performance, large displacement, pure internal combustion engines.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
You've obviously never been on strike. If you had, you would know the pressure those folks were under.
Each time a contract came up, the co. put together a strike plan to keep the plant running. I had an assignment in the event the strike happened, which it didn't during my 19+ years @ AB. My father was union, & it seemed back then, the union was for it's members, not so much now. Those 600 jobs should have been " covered " in the new contract, & not doing that is on the UNION..

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
The Department of Labor and easy access to legal representation has made unions obsolete. The problem is, when the heads of these unions continue to rake in millions to their personal bank accounts. They do this through mostly lobbyists, and for the most part it is not traceable.

Last edited:

Bearbo

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The Department of Labor and easy access to legal representation has made unions obsolete.

You couldn’t be more wrong. DOL, NLRB , OSHA and the Court System count on Labor Unions to resolve disputes and to prevent from flooding the system with issues. May not always be pretty but it is necessary. I am sure I can go to the DOL or that easy access legal representation to resolve a 30 minute Seniority violation. Not happening in the real world.

The issue of a bad or corrupt Union boss is hardly symptomatic of all Labor Unions. Bad or corrupt CEO/Management is present in other industries and government branches.

kilomikebravo

Established Member
Many companies NEVER deserved a damn union......wake up "kilo"!!:mad:

CSJ: That would be in your opinion I presume and, were you an employee at any company fitting this description?

As for me, I'm wide "awake," thanks and I was an active union member for almost thirty years. I know whereof I speak.

Coosawjack

Established Member
YES and YES!!:):)

You must have worked for a bad company....there were plenty of 'em out there too!!:(

There are GOOD and BAD folks everywhere....it's up to US to determine which is which.......not some money grabbing FOR PROFIT group.....IMHO!!:D

BTW......HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!;):)

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
The issue of a bad or corrupt Union boss is hardly symptomatic of all Labor Unions. Bad or corrupt CEO/Management is present in other industries and government branches.

How the hell can you say that when ALL public service local, state and federal unions are the definition of corrupt feedback loop. Hell, it's the reason multiple states will eventually declare bankruptcy in the next big economic downturn.

Users who are viewing this thread