Roll racing with a 600whp/700wtq - Traction?

St_Evo

Established Member
I have seen a few guys on here running over 600whp/700tq on the streets. The last few cars that ive had have been AWD and im just curious as to what kind of wheel/tire sizes and IRS mods need to be done to hook from a 35-40 roll. I have seen people that seem to hook from a slower roll and im just curious to see what it would take. I mean, if possible I want it to dead hook and not break anything.. ive seen it done...now what does it take? :??:

St_Evo

Established Member
I run MT ET streets 315s on a 17x10.5 rim and they hook decent.

Lol, yea but your car is only 390 whp according to your sig. Your car is proabably around or above 600whp isnt it? I have seen a few people on here running stock/twin screw blowers with a small shot and putting down well over 700tq and im wanting to know if there are upgrades to the IRS or suspension that would help a car with that much power hook really really well...

Silverboost

Established Member
A really sticky tire is what you need. Either some fat hoosiers or MT's are going to be the only thing that is going to hold that much power on the street.

Oh yeah they need to be warm to. Cold tires = no grip.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Lol, yea but your car is only 390 whp according to your sig. Your car is proabably around or above 600whp isnt it? I have seen a few people on here running stock/twin screw blowers with a small shot and putting down well over 700tq and im wanting to know if there are upgrades to the IRS or suspension that would help a car with that much power hook really really well...

Look at his sig,car makes 400/400,lol

St_Evo

Established Member

Actually its just 390/390..Lol. I figure he would be a person to ask though with his setup. I have a friend with a 500+ whp Evo and im trying to run him down. He says there is no way I coud put that kind of power to the ground on the streets so that is pretty much the reason for this thread. Haha

I just want to make sure its possible to hook from a slow roll when you start making more power..

Nino S

Established Member
I am just over 600 to the wheel on pump gas and I did everything ass backwards. Trans, cooling, exhaust, blower, fuel is all done but I have only a IRS brace and bushings. Still running stock springs and 275 Nitto NON drag radil tires and the car is just plain stupid, to the point where it really isnt even fun to drive. I came from a upper, non ported eaton making 512 with long tubes and the difference in 100 rwhp blew my mind. The car can lay strips down 95 through 105 mph if you let it. 1st and 2nd are useless and even third unless you pedal the crap out of it. I have my deep dish 10th wheels in my garage and my 315 MT's came in this morning. Going to mount those one hopefully by this weekend and go see how she runs. I have the H&R race springs, CC plates, and bumpsteer kit all going on next saturday so I want to make a pass with just the tires and then one with the tires and springs just to see if there is any major difference. Ill keep ya posted.

St_Evo

Established Member
I am just over 600 to the wheel on pump gas and I did everything ass backwards. Trans, cooling, exhaust, blower, fuel is all done but I have only a IRS brace and bushings. Still running stock springs and 275 Nitto NON drag radil tires and the car is just plain stupid, to the point where it really isnt even fun to drive. I came from a upper, non ported eaton making 512 with long tubes and the difference in 100 rwhp blew my mind. The car can lay strips down 95 through 105 mph if you let it. 1st and 2nd are useless and even third unless you pedal the crap out of it. I have my deep dish 10th wheels in my garage and my 315 MT's came in this morning. Going to mount those one hopefully by this weekend and go see how she runs. I have the H&R race springs, CC plates, and bumpsteer kit all going on next saturday so I want to make a pass with just the tires and then one with the tires and springs just to see if there is any major difference. Ill keep ya posted.

Haha.. you did do everything backwards. Lol. Let me know how those tires work for you b/c that was my intenetions for my car.:beer:

SLEEPERSTATUS

Banned
on a high hp car like that street tires arent even a option in my opinion unless your going on a long trip.....if i had that power id be rolling e/t streets EVERYWHERE but NOT when it is going to be raining

Nino S

Established Member
on a high hp car like that street tires arent even a option in my opinion unless your going on a long trip.....if i had that power id be rolling e/t streets EVERYWHERE but NOT when it is going to be raining

and the thing is that my car is a garage queen, I have had for 3 years and put 6k miles on it, if that.
It came with the brand new Nittos from the original owner when I bought it so I figured I should get use of them before I put the MT's on. The new tires should be mounted by this weekend and I plan doing a nasty 2-3rd gear burn out on the nittos before I trash them, should get it on camara if I can find a buddy to tape it.

SLEEPERSTATUS

Banned
and the thing is that my car is a garage queen, I have had for 3 years and put 6k miles on it, if that.
It came with the brand new Nittos from the original owner when I bought it so I figured I should get use of them before I put the MT's on. The new tires should be mounted by this weekend and I plan doing a nasty 2-3rd gear burn out on the nittos before I trash them, should get it on camara if I can find a buddy to tape it.

i'll keep an eye out for that video;-)

Fat-cat

Established Member
305 -35-18's MTs here and mine will dead hook in second for the most part. Stock IRS with springs and a brace

Mike@TCI

Established Member
620/700 here, and with a 327 gear, 28" Nitto DR, 1st gear traction is not the best. 2nd, and 3rd are fine ( 4r70w)
Nitto's don't hook the best, but they work well for my car with all stock suspension.

GodStang

Established Member
When people say "e/t streets" they are referring to mickey thompson tires specifically right? or drag radials in general? I always wondered.

Read the sides this is why they are called ET Streets. The wide one is my DD tire and the narrow one is my track tire. ET streets is the type of M/T that it is.

DSCN1813.jpg

DSCN1815.jpg

St_Evo

Established Member
So lets just say that you guys with big power (600/700) had a set of 315/35-17 M/T ET Streets on the rear with a 17x10.5 wheel... from a 2nd gear roll from 35-40 what would happen? Would you break sideways until you gained traction? Lol. Would you just chirp the tires for a quick second and then dig in..? Or would you just dead hook like and AWD car would if you warmed up your tires?

I appreciate the help guys but I really just want to buy this stuff once.. I dont want to have to keep changing setups to see what works.

TORQJNKY

Actually its just 390/390..Lol.

It's obvious you guys don't know GodStang's car. His sig says 390/390 but.... He knows what he's talking about, trust me. His sig says it all. I would have some input for you but I run a 19" wheel w/ PS2's on the street with over 620. No drag radials available for that wheel size.

Last edited:

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
i'm going with a 3.27 gear for this exact reason....

i believe a 28" tire is just a bandaid for the problem of traction...sure a 28" tire is necessary on some setups, i use them at the track....however, a larger tire creates more inertia but also requires more power to turn it. by going with a smaller gear (3.27/3.31), you are keeping your power level the same, not losing it to turn your rotating tire/wheel mass which you are increasing with a 28"....and you're going to have less traction issues on the hit, and your gears are going to be longer

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread