2001CobraDan

Established Member
Whats up guys. I hate to say it, but i think i finally did my motor in! I have an '01 cobra with a D1SC on it. After getting on it the other night, I started hearing what very well might be rod knock, could also be a spun or cracked rod bearing. I knew this day was going to come eventually, just not nearly this soon! Resting on the assumption that my teksid block and kellogg crank are still a okay, I will most likely have to get a set of forged rods and pistons, then have my block bored .10 over and honed? What do you guys think the best way to go about this cost effectively would be? What piston and rod combo would be the best? Is machining the block a must with the car having only 33k miles? Or would buying an aluminator shortblock for $3400 be a better option? :shrug: Please help me out! Thanks....

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member
My advice is to find the best builder within driving distance and take the block there to be machined (yes even with 33k) and have new bearings, rings, forged pistons and rods installed. The FRPP blocks have been known to have problems unfortunately.

99cobra09

"Stock Car"
Established Member
Find a local good builder just like GMsux stated.

Bored .20 over
Forged pistons(desired c/r)
Forged rods
polished stock crank
Rod & Main bearing kit to compensate the polishing of your crank
gasket set

If want to freshen up everthing while your at it, but maybe not necessary since you got 33k miles on that motor.

Valve Job
New valve seals.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I like 99Cobra09's list. It seems you can find piston and rod combos for decent prices nowadays. However, if your crank is toast I would look into a stroker assembly. Extra cubes never hurt anyone.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Machine the block 20 over...build it yourself or pay someone..port the heads...re-install the D1 and crank up the boost..assuming you have the right fuel support?

I haven't heard of many people running a D1 without forged internals?....many people run the P1SC without forged stuff...

matt87

Established Member
thats my old car. it makes about 13 psi. very soft tune. guess it just couldnt take it. less than 2000 miles with the d1. at least on the bright side, when it gets forged and up the boost he can make 500-600 rwhp easily.

2001CobraDan

Established Member
thats my old car. it makes about 13 psi. very soft tune. guess it just couldnt take it. less than 2000 miles with the d1. at least on the bright side, when it gets forged and up the boost he can make 500-600 rwhp easily.

:rockon: Can't wait! Hey Matt, still debating what to do over here. Might consider pulling the motor out here at the house with the help of a friend to save cash. Then bring the block down to Precision Engine in Dighton which is less than 10 mins from my house.

matt87

Established Member
they do good engine work. if you do that it would save a ton of cash.

2001CobraDan

Established Member
they do good engine work. if you do that it would save a ton of cash.

Yeah, I've heard nothing but good about Precision. And if we do the work hear, it would probably be the only way that I could afford to keep the D1:banana: Plus, it would kill me to have that car sitting in a shop for an extended period of time. My Dad has a friend thats a mechanic and will work here for an hourly wage, plus I'd get to learn a little by watching and helping.

Last edited:

2001CobraDan

Established Member
Does anyone have a rough estimate from experience on what machining costs could be? Honing out the block, boring it .10 over, all new bearings and rings, and balancing/installing the pistons and rods? If the price is too high, I might consider just buying a shortblock like this one I found....

1996-04 Mustang 4.6L 2/4V "Street Mod 900 Motor" Short Block For Supercharged Applications at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

Or the almighty "aluminator"

1996-01 Mustang 4.6L 2V/4V Ford Racing (Frpp) "Aluminator" Short Block For Supercharged Applications, M-6009-A46scb at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

matt87

Established Member
ya Dan you want to keep compression at 9.5 to 10.1. if you do 8.5 it will loose alot of low end and you'll need lots more timing to make up for the compression.

2001CobraDan

Established Member
thats good to know lol. im addicted to that low end grunt. I might take a ride down to precision to get an estimate. don't want any surprise charges lol

Users who are viewing this thread