Rod bearing recommendation?

CDN5.0

Established Member
My completely stock 14 GT turned a rod bearing at just over 60K miles. So this spring I’m going to yank it and do rod and crank bearings, billet OPG’s and upgrade to ARP fasteners.
Can you recommend which bearings I should buy? Clevite or ? Also which billet oil pump gear do you like?

TIA
Scott

Silbult14

Established Member
The copper backed Clevite tri-metal bearings are generally preferred for performance use, but they may not last as long as the standard aluminum backed bearings. If you're getting this far into the engine I would replace the stock Gen 1 powered metal rods with good conventionally forged rods. Ford seems to like the Manley "H" beams since that's what they use on their Aluminator engines. If you change either rods or pistons you will probably have to rebalance the crankshaft.

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
I'm running these in my engine.

Clevite cb1442hnk
Clevite ms2292H

Triangle Speed Shop oil pump and crank gears.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

2014gtcs

Established Member
The copper backed Clevite tri-metal bearings are generally preferred for performance use, but they may not last as long as the standard aluminum backed bearings. If you're getting this far into the engine I would replace the stock Gen 1 powered metal rods with good conventionally forged rods. Ford seems to like the Manley "H" beams since that's what they use on their Aluminator engines. If you change either rods or pistons you will probably have to rebalance the crankshaft.
I thought Ford used forged aluminum rods?

CobraSam

Established Member
I used Boundary Oil pump gears in 2 Cobra engines and have nothing but good things to say. From packaging to performance. A lot cheaper that TSS. Although TSS is a great company as well.

Silbult14

Established Member
Ford dosen't use aluminum connecting rods [ forged or cast ] in any of their engines. In so far as I know neither does any other auto manufacturer. Some really high end exotics do use titanium rods. Some drag racing engines do use forged aluminum rods, but they have a relatively short life span compared to steel rods and require frequent replacement. The only production engine I've seen with an aluminum rod was a single cylinder lawn mower engine.

Users who are viewing this thread