Rocker Panel Gap

Dano91

Established Member
Hi -

Was wondering if anyone could offer a suggestion or advice on how to fix rocker panel gap. Getting under the car and fiddling with it, everything feels tight. Not sure where to start. Thanks.
IMG_1097.JPG
IMG_1098.JPG

52merc

Established Member
I'm not sure why yours looks like that. Has the pinch weld been folded over from being on a lift? I've had this happen at the dealership when the car was still under warrantee. Just had to straighten the pinch weld back to where it should be.

Here are pictures of my 01. The "gap" between the from and back sections is about 0.25", although in this picture it looks like more. The rear fits tight against the front piece. Notice how the top of the rear section is tucked in tight under the bottom of the door.
Seam LR.jpg

This next picture shows how tight it fits around the front wheel well. Please excuse the dirt. My bad!

Front LR.jpg

The last picture shows how tight the rear section fits around the rear wheel well.

Rear LR.jpg

I don't have a picture of the underside, but can take one later if this will help you out.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Looks like the door rocker needs adjustment. Take a look under the car, and you will see it can be easily modified. Just pull the rocker back, and drill a new hole in the rocker to line up with the mounting point

52merc

Established Member
There are three different fasteners which keep the rocker panel cover in place.

1. The self-tapping screws on the front and rear wheel wells. These are visible in my previous pictures.

2. Push pins along the pinch weld. You can see one of these in the first of the following pictures. These push pins require the pinch weld to be straight up and down in order to hold the bottom of the cover in the right position. The second and third picture shows the pinch weld as best as possible without jacking the car up in the air.

3. The black strip that runs along the top of the cover. It has nubs which push into holes in the rocker and holds the top of the cover in place. The last picture shows this.

Pinch Weld Push Pin LR.jpg

Pinch Weld LR.jpg

Bottom 1 LR.jpg

Black Strip LR.jpg

I think you've bottomed out and popped the nubs on the black strip out of the retainer holes. Just use a flat bladed screwdriver to carefully lift the strip up. It took very little effort on my car. You should be able to move the cover back where it should be, then reinstall the black strip.

Dano91

Established Member
Whoa, sorry I completely missed all of these responses. I posted this last year and put the car away for winter shortly after. I was back on the site yesterday for other issues, that 52merc helped out with (thanks again).

I know for a fact the pinch weld is mangled all to hell. I will have a look at this and report back as soon as I can.

52merc

Established Member
It is almost impossible to keep the pinch-weld is pristine condition. When on warranty I would take the car into the dealer that I bought the car from. Their hoist lifted right on the pinch-weld and would bend it over. I straightened mine out the best I could.

Users who are viewing this thread