rock back and forth when accelerating and decelerating

f1rules

Established Member
Hi there,
My son has a 2004 SVT.
I have noticed lately that when accelerating and decelarating in first gear, there is a lot of play in the transmission or at least that's what it feels like.
I understand that it being 1st. gear there is more torque and that bucking back an forth is expected but when the car had 10,000 miles less it didn't feel that bad.
Is this normal?
Thanks,

F1Rules

Darkstar802

I am here with the same question, figured a bump might get it answered. Just purchased an 04. A previous owner spent a lot of time changing things out, and I am wondering if that is something common. Maybe a bucking at the flywheel/clutch issue.

edrosner@gmail.

Established Member
The motor mounts like to get weak on these cars at around 80k miles. It's most likely the transmission mount you guys are feeling. I just replaced all three with ford OEM mounts. Don't get the crappy ones at autozome or anything. The rubber is too weak and the mounts bottom out so easy.

Joes 2003 SVT

Established Member
I just bought a 02 and the motor mounts are bad in this one. Mine has 77k on it so it's about due. I'm gonna go with OEM motor mounts also as I have heard the aftermarket ones are trash.

edrosner@gmail.

Established Member
I just bought a 02 and the motor mounts are bad in this one. Mine has 77k on it so it's about due. I'm gonna go with OEM motor mounts also as I have heard the aftermarket ones are trash.

They are. Put some in and the engine rocked back and forth during idle and some throttle. Bottomed out so easy shifting. Took them out, took them back, and ordered OEM mounts.

SVTFocus Noob

Established Member
OEM mounts are best but the dogbone OEM is weak and will crack under serious load and yes stock SVTF could break them. I went with a Steeda polly Dogbone and haven't felt any difference in smoothness of ride. After all years of research and talk on focusfanatics. People found OEM uppers and Polly Dogbone is best setup for these car, now there is no problem running all three OEM, but if you ever consider building these cars and have to replace dogbone save some money and just replace it with a polly mount while you are there.

Jake

Steve@Tasca

OEM uppers are best, I would suggest a lower with urethane inserts from some one like Massive Speed though. Greatly improves shift feel and stops the engine rocking back and forth so much.

Tasca has the OEMs available all the time.

-Steve

Users who are viewing this thread