Road&Track go rallying with the Raptor, EVO, and STI

steeltoe

Established Member
I picked up the issue of R&T and here are the times around the test track. Tim O'Neil made all the hot laps

Total Time around the 1.25 mile test track(all off-road)
EVO: 1.40.73
STI : 1.43.60
SVT : 1.53.30

Avg MPH
EVO: 44.4
STI: 43.5
SVT: 39.9

Tim O'Neil's only real complaint about the Raptor is a delay in downshifting. So with a transmission tune I could see the Raptor being more on par with the EVO and STI. Its not bad for a truck that out weights them both by 3000lbs

Article Player

Article Player

Last edited:

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
I'm just happy to see the Evo whoop the STI. From everything I've read, the Evo is always the clear winner on the tarmac, but usually the STI is slightly better offroad because of the suspension tuning. Guess it doesn't matter anymore.

What a blast that would be to tear through the woods in any one of those vehicles. I love how they included the Raptor though, knowing that its made specifically for fast off-road driving. They've been doing the Evo vs STI for years and never had another vehicle to compare it to.

black96snake

Established Member
It looked like he was trying to manually shift the raptor? I wonder if he just tried leaving it in D with the tow/haul active? Seems to help for me at least.

Really cool test none the less.

steeltoe

Established Member
It looked like he was trying to manually shift the raptor? I wonder if he just tried leaving it in D with the tow/haul active? Seems to help for me at least.

Really cool test none the less.
T/H mode is disabled in Off-road mode. He's driving a 2011 so manual shifting is the way to go. A simple trans tune will fix his complaints.

black96snake

Established Member
T/H mode is disabled in Off-road mode. He's driving a 2011 so manual shifting is the way to go. A simple trans tune will fix his complaints.

Good point, I forgot about T/H mode being disabled in off road mode.

What difference does it make that he's driving a 2011?

steeltoe

Established Member
A 2011 has a manual shift mode and 2010 doesn't. So it makes a big difference.

sent from ...... I don't know where I am.

primo

Established Member
get a 5star tune, eough said. You'll never manual shift again.

primo

Established Member
You shouldn't manual shift a 2010? Where are you getting your info from? Not saying he is the best, but as far as customer service and returned emails/phone calls, he is the best in customer service. Besides, a bunch of folks on the other raptor forums have nothing but great things about his tunes. He has a lot of them out there and no bady has made a public complaint yet (other companies have). I've only used Lund as a tuner, for the price of the programmer, I'll give mike at 5 star a shot. If i don't like it, ill be calling Jon up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread