road racers running lower pulley?

Nolimit

Established Member
Willow springs :beer: Just curious as to what the road racers are running on their cobras to keep engine temps and iat undercontrol for track days. I know,many jave gone turbo and centrifigal but i dont have the means for twins yet and dont like centrifigal. Im looking into vmp or 2.9 whipple with 4lb lower and KC. This is not 1/4 strip.

racebronco2

Established Member
I'm not sure where you read they have changed their blower set-up for road racing but i only know of 1 person. No matter what type of f/i you have it will run hotter than the stock blower. They say that the twin screws run cooler than the eaton, it's just not true. They may run cooler on a dyno when they are at wot for about 7 seconds. That facts are the more hp you make the more heat is generated. Our cooling systems are only meant for around 300rwhp. It temps about 80* you will go into limp mode with the stock blower. I know one guy that went to willows with a whipple in the summer time. He made two laps and went into limp mode. Kc will not be able to keep up to the cooling demands of open tracking.

Nolimit

Established Member
I'm not sure where you read they have changed their blower set-up for road racing but i only know of 1 person. No matter what type of f/i you have it will run hotter than the stock blower. They say that the twin screws run cooler than the eaton, it's just not true. They may run cooler on a dyno when they are at wot for about 7 seconds. That facts are the more hp you make the more heat is generated. Our cooling systems are only meant for around 300rwhp. It temps about 80* you will go into limp mode with the stock blower. I know one guy that went to willows with a whipple in the summer time. He made two laps and went into limp mode. Kc will not be able to keep up to the cooling demands of open tracking.

Well i refering to a thread or post i read on this site or maybe MM, but basicly the guy tuns 18lbs on the street and something like 14 atbthr track day to reduce heatsoak.

I hear you when you say a Fi cars will generate heat, so how can we counteract that? I know we can upgrade our cooling system like HE and radiators but like you mentioned i dont think it will be enough even with a KC. So is a cobra equiped with a PD blower just not meant for open track racing?

svtshadow

Banned
I bought KC for road racing and that didn't work out so well. By half a lap you were already heat soaked. I see KC working if you have a 50gallon tank in the trunk, but we all know that's not how racing works.

Things to do:
Box up the radiator
Get a hood that will help you extract all that heat behind the radiator.(I think this is the most important one). I know RaceBronco is the person that knows more about the hood extractors.

racebronco2

Established Member
Well i refering to a thread or post i read on this site or maybe MM, but basicly the guy tuns 18lbs on the street and something like 14 atbthr track day to reduce heatsoak.

I hear you when you say a Fi cars will generate heat, so how can we counteract that? I know we can upgrade our cooling system like HE and radiators but like you mentioned i dont think it will be enough even with a KC. So is a cobra equiped with a PD blower just not meant for open track racing?

You mentioned a 2.3 or a2.9 with a 4lb lower which way more than 14psi with a stock upper. Bigger radiator and heat exchanger will only allow you to run longer before heat soak in temps above 80*, it will heat soak eventually. There are two of us that open track in all temps without going into limp mode with whip poles at 15psi. Proven cooling on a Terminator style front end:
1. Real heat extractor hood
2. 1980 vw radiator as a heat exchanger
3. Higher flowing inter-cooler pump.

This is taking for granted you already have the other cooling mods, the reason I
Say on A Terminator style front end is because the no other front ends have large enough openings for the heat exchanger, they are far to restrictive. We installed a tiger racing hood on a 2001 cobra with a 2.2 kenne bell and engine temps went down a little but the iat2 were still to high. This was an open track car that was driven on the street.

Users who are viewing this thread