Rim / Tire ?

moncho

Established Member
I'm looking at purchasing 18x9 rims for the front & 18x10 for the rear. Currently the OEM rims are 18x9.5 and they use 255 / 45 / R18 for the front. Will this tire size fit the 18x9 without any issue in tire height or should I consider another tire size for the front?

Thanks!
Ray

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
I'm looking at purchasing 18x9 rims for the front & 18x10 for the rear. Currently the OEM rims are 18x9.5 and they use 255 / 45 / R18 for the front. Will this tire size fit the 18x9 without any issue in tire height or should I consider another tire size for the front?

Thanks!
Ray

they'll fit fine. i typically wouldnt even advise putting 255 on a 9.5 lol. depends on the tire. some would be stretched on 9.5

on 9, its perfect imo

moncho

Established Member
Nothing like getting a response from the authority.
Thanks for your reply Steve!

Cheers,
Ray

slow_08gt500

Established Member
they'll fit fine. i typically wouldnt even advise putting 255 on a 9.5 lol. depends on the tire. some would be stretched on 9.5

on 9, its perfect imo

Hey Steve- what do you think the widest you can go on an OEM GT500 18x9.5" I have 285s right now and it's burning them up like there is no tomorrow, could you stretch a 305/35/18?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Hey Steve- what do you think the widest you can go on an OEM GT500 18x9.5" I have 285s right now and it's burning them up like there is no tomorrow, could you stretch a 305/35/18?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

it would be the opposite of stretched. you'll have bulge. like a 7th grader at a strip club.

i think 305 is a bit wide for 9.5 myself but ive seen people do it. usually on gt500 20s. personally i wouldnt go wider than 285 on 9.5" but if its a DR it may not look bad. it shouldnt be a safety issue. trucks do it all the time. but they look ok with a lot of bulge lol.

the main thing is to look at the range what the tire manufacturer suggests. some brands run narrow and others wide. if tire rack sells the tire, they'll have it in their specs. but every reputable manufacturer will have the range listed on the tires spec page on their own website.

snakepit3

Established Member
it would be the opposite of stretched. you'll have bulge. like a 7th grader at a strip club.

i think 305 is a bit wide for 9.5 myself but ive seen people do it. usually on gt500 20s. personally i wouldnt go wider than 285 on 9.5" but if its a DR it may not look bad. it shouldnt be a safety issue. trucks do it all the time. but they look ok with a lot of bulge lol.

the main thing is to look at the range what the tire manufacturer suggests. some brands run narrow and others wide. if tire rack sells the tire, they'll have it in their specs. but every reputable manufacturer will have the range listed on the tires spec page on their own website.

TigerGT500

Established Member
I was researching tires a TON recently. Go check out tirerack.com for the tires you are specifically looking at. They measure the "Tread Width" on the tires. Recommendation is to go no more than 0.5" wider or narrower than your wheel width. So my 9.5" wheels should have no more than a 10" tread width tire. I put 285/35/20 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on my rears and they are a 10.1" tread width. So BARELY over the recommendation but ok.

Users who are viewing this thread