Rifles, ammo found in dumpster

txyaloo

Established Member
I honestly don't know what I'd do if I were the one to find these. Keep everything? Keep the ammunition? Call the police?

Eight assault rifles and thousands of rounds of ammunition Tuesday were found stashed in a North Austin dumpster.

Someone noticed the weapons inside the dumpster outside the Contempo Apartments 5000 block of Swanee near North Lamar and Airport Boulevard around 11:30 a.m.

Austin police officers and agents with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms pulled out eight assault rifles with upper receivers and box after box of ammunition. It took several hours to collect and inspect.

People who live on the dead-end street watched with worry.

"It's so quiet out here you hardly ever think of anything like that," said Richard Marquez.

Marquez has lived at a house a few yards from the dumpster for several decades. He watched in shock on Tuesday as agents wrapped the guns in white pieces of cloth and tucked them into the trunk of a patrol car.

"Who put it there? That's the scary part. We still live here with our windows open and sit out here in the afternoon," said Marquez.

Detectives don't know who hid the guns and the ammo in the dumpster or why.

"The neighborhood is a decent neighborhood. Everybody's pretty friendly, but there are a few vagrants that come into the neighborhood," said Jeremy Withrow.

"I see very strange people walking around occasionally," said Inez Trigo.
While police investigate, the community says it's locking up a little tighter.
"I actually have guns of my own. I keep it for that purpose, to protect my kid, my girlfriend, us. It makes me a little worried. A little more so than before hand," said Withrow.

Police can't say how long the guns had been there, but neighbors suspect they were disposed of very recently. They say the dumpster is usually emptied early Tuesday mornings.

The ATF is leading the investigation; Austin police are assisting.

badazzar15

Banned
I honestly don't know what I'd do if I were the one to find these. Keep everything? Keep the ammunition? Call the police?

Unless they were Machineguns or SBR's, I don't know how they'd be illegal. I hate when the media uses the term 'Assualt Rifle - which died when the AWB expired. An Assault Weapon is no more illegal than my daughter's Ruger 10/22

ssssnake

Established Member
"I see very strange people walking around occasionally," said Inez Trigo.

LOL In Austin? You don't say.

txyaloo

Established Member
Unless they were Machineguns or SBR's, I don't know how they'd be illegal. I hate when the media uses the term 'Assualt Rifle - which died when the AWB expired. An Assault Weapon is no more illegal than my daughter's Ruger 10/22

If they were used in the commission of a crime, I don't want anything to do with them. It sounds like they were AR15 uppers.

Grizzly Adams

Resident Hippie
Established Member
Likelihood of rifles and ammunition found in a dumpster being legal (i.e. not stolen or used criminally)....slim to none.

No respectable, responsible, or safe owner is going to dump a bunch of rifles and ammo like that.

livefast1

Established Member
let me jus say if i found that dumpster you all wouldn't be talking about this right now. finders mf'in keepers.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
id keep it. thats a free arsenal that will never have to be reported/transferred/etc. When guns no longer exist to the standard citizen, you and your family would still be armed and nobody would be the wiser.

Bullitt995

Will race for food
Established Member
id keep it. thats a free arsenal that will never have to be reported/transferred/etc. When guns no longer exist to the standard citizen, you and your family would still be armed and nobody would be the wiser.

And I would laugh my ass off at the insane charges that end up on you because you are in the possession of guns that were involved in xxxxxx violent crime.

I'd call the cops, which is something I would rarely do. Guns only end up in dumpsters for one reason.

CobraMarkVIII

Established Member
And I would laugh my ass off at the insane charges that end up on you because you are in the possession of guns that were involved in xxxxxx violent crime.

I'd call the cops, which is something I would rarely do. Guns only end up in dumpsters for one reason.
+65000

This one is a wise man. I just read up on this rapper guy getting tossed in jail for an illegal arsenal... It can happen even when you are famous and rich.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member

+1:rockon:

txyaloo

Established Member
+65000

This one is a wise man. I just read up on this rapper guy getting tossed in jail for an illegal arsenal... It can happen even when you are famous and rich.

You're talking about T.I. He was arrested for trying to illegally purchase machine guns and suppressors. Completely different than this situation. Also, he got off so much easier than you or I would in the same situation.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
You're talking about T.I. He was arrested for trying to illegally purchase machine guns and suppressors. Completely different than this situation. Also, he got off so much easier than you or I would in the same situation.

What would be a "normal" sentence for something like that? I know that he got 1 year and 1 day. I would expect that a normal person would probably get at least 7 times that :shrug:

----------------
Now playing: The Bloodhound Gang - Magna Cum Nada
via FoxyTunes

Users who are viewing this thread