• Restore the Cub Cadet

Votes: 18 35.3%
  • Buy a new one

Votes: 33 64.7%

• Total voters

Matt S

FLY USMC
Established Member
How awesome are riding lawnmowers? Ultimate relaxation, drinking a beer and cruising around your yard on a mower. As of right now my yard does not justify having a riding lawnmower, but I don't care. I think riding lawnmowers are awesome and I want one. The question is do I pick up a new one or restore my dads old Cub Cadet? All the new garden tractors are belt driven which is lame, but my dad's old Cub Cadet is shaft driven and built tougher. I'm leaning towards restoring his. These are the new ones and the bottom pic is a google image pic of what my dad has. The engine is blown and it's been sitting for the past 12 years so I know he'll let me have it if I'm going to restore it.

craftsman.jpg

johndeere.jpg

cubcadet.jpg

bldmovs

SVT Poster
Established Member
Restore it, if it doesn't cost a fortune to do. Do you have a lot of trees, because it can be a pain cutting around them with that beast!!!

Spade

Established Member
Restore the baby. Everytime I see you I laugh to myself. They look like little tanks. On the other hand if you have alot of tree get a zero turn. I have one LOVE it.

Matt S

FLY USMC
Established Member
Restore the baby. Everytime I see you I laugh to myself. They look like little tanks. On the other hand if you have alot of tree get a zero turn. I have one LOVE it.

That's a nice tractor you have. I bet that sucker can turn like no other. I just called my dad, he's as excited as I am to get that thing back up and running.

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
buy a new one dude. i dont see why you think belt diven ones are lame, being since you havent owned one. i have had my john eere 325 which has hydraulic lift and drive. The whole system is ranby a belt and i still havent changed the belt on it after 10 years. that and the thing has never went in for warranty work or had any problems which required service. I use it alot to, i plow snow with it and all kind of yard bs.

Matt S

FLY USMC
Established Member
The belt driven mowers that we've owned over the years start to slip and the brake stops working. My dad's current mower is a Craftsman belt driven mower and it's a good tractor, but not as tough as the old one once was. I like them all don't get me wrong.

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
The belt driven mowers that we've owned over the years start to slip and the brake stops working. My dad's current mower is a Craftsman belt driven mower and it's a good tractor, but not as tough as the old one once was. I like them all don't get me wrong.

yeah but the john deere belt driven hystat is awesoe man. you wont have those problems

Quick97TA

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
Just had the forward gears shatter in my old Craftsman mower. I was never really very happy with it anyway so I replaced it a couple months ago with a John Deere LA165 and I love it. :)

Knoxville COBRA

Established Member
John Deere FTW,That will be my next mower! For know i have a yard machine, I bought used for $470 It works good to cut my1.2 acres but JD is a nice mower.
IMG_8446.jpg

Last edited:

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
I just bought a zero turn model for $3100. John Deere. Absolutely love it. Probably cuts mowing time in half over the normal riding mowers with the steering wheel. The only bummer is that I can't use it as a tractor or as a snow plow. But I can get a used rider for a mere $500 and then get the attachments if I really wanted one for that purpose.

94_Vert

Established Member
so you don't like belt drives because it requires maintenance, and how is the cadet doing?

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member

no wonder you think they suck. Craftsman are possibly the worst products ever.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I love old machines I'd say if you don't have a ton of trees to cut around then restore it.

If you have trees then do what I did.

IMG_0392.jpg

Went from a 22hp 50" cut lawn tractor to a 20hp 44" cut and my time was cut in half.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Get a new one and if you can get a zero-turn. Its so much easier to make your lawn look nice and its alot faster if you have alot to mow.

Users who are viewing this thread