Riced my stang out a bit

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
I go to work quite early and got tired of the crappy .02 light ford supplied us with, just wanted more light but with a cleaner look... swapped 4 LED's for
the factory bulb and added LED strips. What do you think, too ricey?
2zr0yfd.jpg

Last edited:

GetBitBiatch

Is that your gf's car?
Established Member
Well as long as you don't have a red LED strip racing back and forth across the front of the car like the Knight Rider, I don't think you'll get beat up too much about the lights.

XyX

Still in the game.
Established Member
Knoxville COBRA said:
The only rice thing i see in your trunk is that Ghetto box...Just unwanted added weight.IMO

haha you can hardly see it to even judge it:rollseyes

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Looks good, any pics of where the strips were mounted and how it was done?

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
+1 i wana do it to MINE lol sorry i might have to copy u lol.

one thing that would make it look better would be disconecting the stock light. get rid of the yellow

The Stock light is disconnected, those are actually 4 superwhite LED's. It may just look yellow because of the car color. I will try to post pics. Of the Hardware.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Quick how to:
Supplies -
-Wire strippers/cutters
-A few feet of double strand wire
-4 Quick splice connectors (autozone elec. isle or radioshack)
-Elec Tape
-These of your choice -----> http://www.oznium.com/led-flex-strips I used the 9.5" x 2 superwhite LED strips so it didn't like so ricey.
-I used x 4 of these ----->http://www.oznium.com/led 5mm but you could easily just use a LED festoon bulb to swap out for your stocker. Just not as bright IMO.
Install:
Locate this connector on the driver side of your trunk behind the driver side panel. You have to pull the plastic trim tabs holding the panels to the top of the trunk.
21wjfd.jpg

Pull the connector from the side of the trunk and locate the Purple/Grey insulated wire. This is your Ground for the trunk interior light. Add a quick splice and one end of your length of wire to it.
Now locate the red/green insulated wire. This is your positive wire to your trunk interior light. Add a quick splice to it and the other remaining end of your cut wire length.
You are ready to add your LED strips. Before making anything permanent, check the polarity of your LED strips by touching one end of the wire strips to your negative wire and the other to your positive. If it lights, your good to go, if not, reverse the wires. Do this to all your strips. Once you're satisfied, shunt the wires together (twist them so they stay together, and secure them with tape (or solder if your that anal).
The LED strips come with double sided tape which you can use to secure them to the location or your choice. IMO the cleanest/most effective place to put them is here:
wk4bj8.jpg

But it's your install. I hid the slack wire up top of the Mach 460 speak box and secured it with zip ties.
As for the factory housing unit, I just pulled the festoon bulb and ripped the tin connectors out and drilled 4 holes I think 5/32 size drill bit, and secured 4 LED's into the plastic cover using the same method as the LED strips.
15wijxt.jpg

They are polarity sensitive as well, and I tapped into the same wires located behind teh license plate area with quick splices. You could just swap the factory festoon bulb for an LED one, but I opted to use LED's because they are a tad bit brighter. Hope this helps anyone wanting to do the same thing. Install took about 30 minutes.
FYI, I know the 2 extra holes in the housing unit are poopy but I went too big on my drill bit at first. I plan to clean the trunk wiring up with a home made trunk deck lid cover.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread