Reviving old threads.... ?

SilverCoyote

Established Member
Why do some people get so torqued up over reviving an old thread? Right now, I'm looking into the "non adjustable headrest issue" with my 2011 GT. I found an old thread on the issue. There is a lot of good information on it, and I was inclined to post to it. I just sort of figured, a lot of ground work is already sitting right there. Why start from scratch? Any opinions on reviving old threads. Mostly, if you are against it.. why?

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
If the post is relevant and moves things forward, no problem. Posting "subbed', problem.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
firstly because it is against the rules. perhaps you should read them sometime. secondly getting info from them is one thing. if it answers your question then there is no need to post to it. if you are actually adding some additional information to it you MIGHT not take a hit for it but that could depend on how old the thread actually is. if it is an old thread that YOU started and you are updating it you would probably be ok.

Rarely is rezzing an old thread worth it.

Why do some people get so torqued up over reviving an old thread? Right now, I'm looking into the "non adjustable headrest issue" with my 2011 GT. I found an old thread on the issue. There is a lot of good information on it, and I was inclined to post to it. I just sort of figured, a lot of ground work is already sitting right there. Why start from scratch? Any opinions on reviving old threads. Mostly, if you are against it.. why?

Prototype007

Established Member
I've never understood why it's such a sin to revive old threads.

It's better having fewer threads that pertain to an actual subject that's old as dirt, than having hundreds of others being posted with "use the search function" as the only response posted before closing.

Other times it's good to see others post throughout the years how helpful an old thread was (DIY for ex.) to them and if it's still effective to this date.

Zemedici

Established Member
If the post is relevant and moves things forward, no problem. Posting "subbed', problem.

I've never understood why it's such a sin to revive old threads.

It's better having fewer threads that pertain to an actual subject that's old as dirt, than having hundreds of others being posted with "use the search function" as the only response posted before closing.

Other times it's good to see others post throughout the years how helpful an old thread was (DIY for ex.) to them and if it's still effective to this date.

See above. Adding some technical information is alright. Saying 'great thread', not so much.

Prototype007

Established Member
See above. Adding some technical information is alright. Saying 'great thread', not so much.

Take notice of the word "and" not using the word "or."

Would you want to do something you've read on a forum and it end up being only a temporary fix instead of a proper one?

Believe it or not some people come to forums to learn and will for years after we've stopped posting.

01svtL

Established Member
If someone reviving an old thread gets under your skin enough to go through the effort of replying to let them know, you have issues.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
There are many reasons why.

Lots of times someone will bump it asking the OP for an answer, feedback or if the issue was resolved and the OP isn't around any longer.
Lots of times people bump just to say "Nice thread"
Lots of times People bump with add on questions or non-relevant info.

There are many reasons. Bottom line though is that the owner and staff would prefer you start a new thread with the info you have and go from there.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
There are many reasons why.

Lots of times someone will bump it asking the OP for an answer, feedback or if the issue was resolved and the OP isn't around any longer.
Lots of times people bump just to say "Nice thread"
Lots of times People bump with add on questions or non-relevant info.

There are many reasons. Bottom line though is that the owner and staff would prefer you start a new thread with the info you have and go from there.
This pretty much covers it. I would like to add one thing, sometimes the info in those older threads is dated and there might be better solutions.

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
new thread=new traffic=revenue

There is absolutely zero merit to this. First, traffic is not automatically higher just because a new thread is created. Second, that rule has been in place since long before advertising existed on this site - especially advertising based on traffic.

'03GTinFLA

Established Member
I just wish people would update their own threads. I can't tell you how many times I've searched for something, read the entire giant thread thinking yes this is what I need and then.....thread is over. No updates. No issue solved. I hate that.

01svtL

Established Member
Between the "dont revive old threads" police and the "search" police, its a crapshoot. People should just not get butthurt over an internet forum.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
I just wish people would update their own threads. I can't tell you how many times I've searched for something, read the entire giant thread thinking yes this is what I need and then.....thread is over. No updates. No issue solved. I hate that.

This. So many threads come to a dead end.

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
I just find it annoying when I click a thread on the first page of road-side and go to respond to someone's post... just to find out that their post was from over a year ago and that they're unlikely to see my response

Users who are viewing this thread