Reverse lockout wiring...

Mustang4vSVT

4x4ing this mofo up!
Established Member
Hey all got a lil issue here. Ive had the T56 swap for a good 3 years and couldnt be happier. Except for the reverse lockout. Right now its currently wired into the brake lights and that was fine for the first 2 years but lately it keeps burning out the wires on the brake light sensor . It doesnt really burn up the sensor, just the wire its connected too . Anyone else ever have this issue when doing the swap and wiring the lockout this way?

Is there a way to just put it on a switch so that i can just flip that when needed. The way I have it now is convenient but its starting to get old now having to kick my foot around under the dash in hopes to get the wires to work once its burned. Id rather just do a switch

I didnt do the wiring. A friend and I did the actual swap but a tech at the shop that let us use their lift did the lockout wiring. So if someone can, please explain how to do it on a switch.

01yellercobra

Established Member
If it worked fine for 2 years and is now acting up then something is going bad. Wires usually burn up because too much current is flowing through it. Maybe the lockout solenoid is starting to go out. A couple windings inside could be shorted out causing a high current draw. The only reason I mention this is because the solenoid could be going bad.

But to answer your question, yes you can install a switch to activate the solenoid. Lots of people do it.

kxt

atomic number 30
Established Member
I just removed the lockout solenoid for the transmission completely, works fine and I still don't get anywhere near reverse when shifting.

Mustang4vSVT

4x4ing this mofo up!
Established Member

I found this earlier been searching modular fords for the part number from ace hardware they are talking about for that specific spring haha. Anyone have a clue???

I was thinking of removeing it as well. Would like the added safety however as ive been in a termi where the driver grinded trying to go from 4th to 5th. Ive never done it personally, just dont wanna risk it, lol. Seems i can fix this for under 2 bucks if i can figure out what specific spring i need.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
Im trying to figure this out as well. I've never been able to get mine to work properly. I've tried hooking it to the brake wire, or even directly to the battery to test the solenoid. Not sure what the problem is, but I'll probably end up doing the "spring mod" when I pull the transmission to install a new clutch.

Maybe I've got the wrong plug. I bought some "GM Coolant sensor plug" that was recommended to me on here. It fits, it snaps in, but maybe it's not making a connection.

What is the reverse lockout solenoid wired to on the 03 cobras from the factory? How is it activated?

You could always wire up a relay and hook it up to either the brake wire or the clutch wire. The relay will send more current to the solenoid without placing such a high current load on the signal wire. It's an extra step, but you'll be able to forget about it afterwards.

Homer

01yellercobra

Established Member
What is the reverse lockout solenoid wired to on the 03 cobras from the factory? How is it activated?

The computer controls the solenoid on the 03/04's. It's run through the transmission harness. I think the computer opens the solenoid anytime the car is under 5mph.

RoyWoods

Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread