Rev limit on 03 cobra

MooseWS6

another f-body guy
Established Member
We had a customer come in ask us what his rev limit is on his brand new cobra. any one tell me what it is?

He was also telling me that he is a getting a program, (chip) that will give him a extra 40 hp. Do you guys recommend doing the program on a bone stock car?

Thanks for the help

Moose

jonas

Established Member
fuel shut off is at 7k rpm, the chip can move that higher up but im sure u know that :). Personally there is better bang for buck doing cai and exhaust. Id only chip if i get a smaller than 3.4 pully but hey thats me :)

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Chip can make good gains, but would certainly void the powertrain warranty. I agree with the CAI and catback route, first...

If warranty is not a concern, add a $50 throwaway stock Lightning pulley to the chip and REALLY wake the car up...:-D

msp282

I sell crack
Established Member
my stock PCM shuts my car off at 6500rpm... my car used to be "flashed" and shut off at 6800rpm.....

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Mine would shut-off prior to the 6500mark. Think the freaking RPM gauge was a bit slower then the moter. With chip its great.

Turn the fan on in 2 speeds. 1st speed is its normal speed & the 2nd speed is twice faster. This way keep the coolness in the Water & S/C.

Also turned the Shut-off @ 7000rpm.

Best yet was with the chip it helped me gain all the Torque i lost with the X-haust install. Gain the 20TQ lost & gain 15TQ more. & to top it off A/F mixture is nice & safe in the 11:2 - 11:9.

MooseWS6

another f-body guy
Established Member
Thanks guys..

What other mods should i recommend to him, he has 200 miles on it

Real nice guy, in his late 50's having a ball with it..:)

03cobra#116

Established Member
If he only has 200 miles on it, the cheapest way to get more power is to wait a while. These engines seem to pick up quite a bit of power as they get broken in.

Mine is still stock at 13000 miles. Check the signature for details.

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Full X-haust. Let him piss off his neighbors. From the headers to the crome pipes. Should open her up big time ( Car that is ).

JDM Site said that they can see 30hp to the wheels from there Headers alone. Average around 18-22hp.

Plus u can tell ur customers that theres no need to pull the headers off when he needs to replace his Clutch after having so much fun with it.

MooseWS6

another f-body guy
Established Member
Originally posted by Poisonous Mods

Plus u can tell ur customers that theres no need to pull the headers off when he needs to replace his Clutch after having so much fun with it.

LMAO!!!

Thanks guys.. :beer:

Rick@Amazon

SVT God
Established Member
The fuel shutoff is at 6500 rpm. We like to keep it there because these cars peak out around 6200 rpm ( sweet spot for shifting and best times) If my customer powershifts his car I bump it to 6700 rpm no more. My reason for this is the bad valve train geometry on these cars because of the new heads vs. the cobras of old that could rev to 7k. Also we've seen the valves float at 6800-6900 rpm because of the damptners(lifters) and springs. Hope I could help

Rick

Hardtop

Established Member
What's up Moose, haven't seen you post here.:p You wouldn't be talking about the family Cobra would you? Guys Moose can drive. If you want to know what a stock 03 is capable of, wait till he makes a few passes in one. Moose we still need to find a stock f-body for the real world comparison.:beer:

Bruce

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Originally posted by 03cobra#116
If he only has 200 miles on it, the cheapest way to get more power is to wait a while. These engines seem to pick up quite a bit of power as they get broken in.

Noticed that with my '01, particularly over 4000 RPM.

MooseWS6

another f-body guy
Established Member
Originally posted by AmazonRacing
The fuel shutoff is at 6500 rpm. We like to keep it there because these cars peak out around 6200 rpm ( sweet spot for shifting and best times) If my customer powershifts his car I bump it to 6700 rpm no more. My reason for this is the bad valve train geometry on these cars because of the new heads vs. the cobras of old that could rev to 7k. Also we've seen the valves float at 6800-6900 rpm because of the damptners(lifters) and springs. Hope I could help

Rick

Thanks Rick will be calling you today..

Bruce, Actually not the family car, we got another guy that came in last night and was asking a bunch of questions. I told him to take it easy on it for the 500 or so miles. He called me back and said he was easy on it on 50 up to 130mph.. LOL

We will have him racing soon.
:beer:

StRacer

Established Member
Originally posted by Poisonous Mods
Full X-haust. Let him piss off his neighbors. From the headers to the crome pipes. Should open her up big time ( Car that is ).

JDM Site said that they can see 30hp to the wheels from there Headers alone. Average around 18-22hp.

30 hp is a LIE....I bought into that line of BS....they LIE! I bought the long tubes and the throttle body from them I gained ....8 hp and 6 ftlbs of torque WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO! Not bad for 1500 bucks...... have any of you ever felt like killing yourself? Thats why I thought the KB was such a good deal....its twice as much and I can gain 125hp and 150 lb of torque....:dw:

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
StRacer.
U have to admit that getting to the Red Line on 4th & 5th gears much easier then before?
My 01Cobra stock Xhaust sucked big time. Got the Headers & shit no problems with getting any type of gains out of it.
From 265RWHP & with Headers pushed it up to 305RWHP.

Users who are viewing this thread