Return tune to stock?

CobraG

Established Member
This goes somewhat with my idle post.

My 2013 has a JLT and some other aftermarket parts so I’m sure it had a tune at some point. The car did not come with a hand held so I have no idea what tune or who the tuner is.
My question is, can I get a hand held with a tune or do I need to take it to Ford and have them put a stock tune back on the car, then get a hand held and a tune from someone? Not sure if I need to get a “stock” tune to start with before getting a custom tune.
I do have a local guy, Tricky Performance, I’m thinking about getting an SCT hand held and tunes through him.

If I don’t have to get a tune from Ford first I’d prefer that, saves time and money to coordinate getting a tune from them, then buying a hand held and finding a tuner.

Thanks

fuelforfire87

Established Member
You dont need to have the stock tune on the car to load an aftermarket tune on it. I ran into this issue when i had a sct tuner that crapped out so i couldnt flash my car back to stock. I switched to the ngauge and the first time i flashed it it saved the tune that was currently on the ecu as the "stock" tune. Not sure if SCT tuners work the same way but if you get the ngauge you're good to go

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Fapacaulk

clinton2003

Established Member
whatever tune is in your car will become the "stock" tune.

If your really worried about it you can take it to the dealer and have them flash the actual stock tune for the car. if you go this route be sure to take every key you have for the vehicle as sometimes it requires a pats relearn.

96gt02

Established Member
as others have said just flash over the current tune and forget about it

Venom800tt

Established Member
I would get a new tune from a reputable tuner for piece of mind and forget about the stock tune. Im on AED tune right now because the stock tune had too much engine knock as a result of bad gas in my town.

Users who are viewing this thread