Retirement

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
I don't know that I'll ever, truly retire. I've already cut back how many calls I do every week, but owning your own business and being able to set my own schedule has been very liberating. I'm also very blessed to have some really good customers that are loyal. Makes working a whole lot more enjoyable.

Your government is lying to you

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Congrats!

Enjoy every day! I've been trying to talk my wife into letting me retire. I just turned 42....

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
Congrats!!! I'm hoping to retire at 55 as a govt employee. Hopefully, we've saved enough and the stock market gives us good fortune :)

I'll be eligible at 53 for my government pension. I'll make close to 80% of my income retired, and won't have to pay into the retirement system anymore, so it will be closer to 90%. And full healthcare until I croak!

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Congrats on that! I retire at the end of next month and frankly I'm scared. I've never not had a job since I was in my teens.
Nothing to be scared about, either you can afford it or not.
I kept records of monthly expenses, so when the buy-out presented itself, I crunched the #'s. I based my budget on the worst month's spending, & added $ 200.00
What you will find out after the fact, is how much $$ you don't spend when you stop working. Case in point, when I worked I drove 106 miles a day, gassed up every 3 days. Now I don't gas up sometimes for 2 months,.............all money not spent !!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'll be eligible at 53 for my government pension. I'll make close to 80% of my income retired, and won't have to pay into the retirement system anymore, so it will be closer to 90%. And full healthcare until I croak!
That is about as good as it gets. Awesome! And you get Social Security on top of that.

I really want to retire within the next 5 years, but the crash in 2008 put a huge dent in my retirement portfolio. It is likely going to force us to make some major life style changes as we transition to a lower fixed income.

DriftwoodSVT

Established Member
That is about as good as it gets. Awesome! And you get Social Security on top of that.

I really want to retire within the next 5 years, but the crash in 2008 put a huge dent in my retirement portfolio. It is likely going to force us to make some major life style changes as we transition to a lower fixed income.

My parents both worked at John Deere and always stressed important finding a job with a pension is. That's how I ended up in the Government sector.

Adower

Established Member
Gotta love a pension. My wife and I both get one as well as full healthcare just like you!

A lot of people say that they would never work for the government due to the pay. However, a lot of people don’t know which jobs to look for. My wife is a geologist and makes ~160k and I make ~120k, more than enough to get by. Both jobs we never work over 40 hours a week and the work/life balance is unbeatable.

Adower

Established Member
I kept records of monthly expenses, so when the buy-out presented itself, I crunched the #'s. I based my budget on the worst month's spending, & added $ 200.00
What you will find out after the fact, is how much $$ you don't spend when you stop working. Case in point, when I worked I drove 106 miles a day, gassed up every 3 days. Now I don't gas up sometimes for 2 months,.............all money not spent !!
They say as you get older you don’t spend as much money overall. Not sure if I believe that but will see.

Adower

Established Member

Your portfolio isn’t back up since the 08 crash? We’ve had a bull run for the longest until recent.

DriftwoodSVT

Established Member
Gotta love a pension. My wife and I both get one as well as full healthcare just like you!

A lot of people say that they would never work for the government due to the pay. However, a lot of people don’t know which jobs to look for. My wife is a geologist and makes ~160k and I make ~120k, more than enough to get by. Both jobs we never work over 40 hours a week and the work/life balance is unbeatable.

Agreed. I make 140k as a government employee. The amount I'd have to contribute to a 401k to equal what I will get from my pension is crazy!

VegasMichael

Established Member
My fear is not financial.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
I’ll likely never retire.

Had I kept a past job? Yeah probably… but it was working crazy hours in the oil field. Made a shit ton of money.

Took a huge pay cut to work 1/3 of the entire year now.

But now I’m like… the time to enjoy now is nice, but… the money in the future would have been nice too

Users who are viewing this thread