Retire the A-10 "Warthog", and cut the US Army to its pre WWII size!

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Hagel wants it. Congress most likely won't go along. The deficit shadow is starting to reach out. We ain't seen anything yet.

ImThatGuy

Huffing Ether
Established Member
It will not happen soon, or at all. Many news channels are full of shit. The A-10 is too great of an asset for the air force to let go. Last week we were given a briefing by the only air force personnel on base(who were a-10 pilots), saying that the only aircraft that could come close is an f16/f22. But they they lack ground support capability, and are more so for air engagements, and lack the legendary durability of the A-10. Listening to the chain gun on an A-10 will make your butthole pucker!! Lol It was a damn good class/briefing!

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
The AF wants to retire it badly but the Army needs it for fixed wing CAS. The F-16 and F-35 can't come close to offering what the A-10 can. If the AF were to retire it the Army would trying everything they could to get control and fly it. We all know that would never happen. So until there is a real replacement for the A-10 I don't see it going anywhere. My guess is it will eventually be replaced by a drone.

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
The AF wants to retire it badly but the Army needs it for fixed wing CAS. The F-16 and F-35 can't come close to offering what the A-10 can. If the AF were to retire it the Army would trying everything they could to get control and fly it. We all know that would never happen. So until there is a real replacement for the A-10 I don't see it going anywhere. My guess is it will eventually be replaced by a drone.

Can the Apache replace the A-10 as a close air support fighter?
Or is it too slow, and limited by range?

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member

From a pure firepower, and loiter capability time its not even close.

Im in the AF and have worked with multiple airframes in my career including the A-10. The only issue with the A-10 is its age, and its current life cycle. If kept around it needs to be funded appropriately with modern upgrades, more than it already has undergone. These need to be weighed heavily, and planned/budgeted appropriately. Hard thing to do when Lockheed Martin owns and sustains one of the largest buys in modern military history (F-35). Who do think pads their pockets? Lawmakers, and politicians, not the troops on the ground.

Im with an F-22 unit now, we have capabilities for air to ground operations with multiple loadouts, but bring nothing to the table quite like the A-10's capabilities do in a CAS role, thats a no brainer.

I dont think the A-10 will disapear, might be downsized, but will remain in the inventory.

If it disapeared, your CAS roles would be absorbed mainly by your air to ground F-16/F-15E Strike/F-18 units which currently exist, and eventually F35's when the come online. Even F-22's can support CAS and Air to Ground ops if needed, but would probably be the last option for planners in the big scheme of things. Was not the airframes intended design.

Were still dropping bombs on a daily basis in Afghanistan in a CAS role. Alot of those are F-15's, 16's, and drones. We are still a very capable military, and the best in the world with or without the A-10.

Last edited:

Sirraf

Established Member
Im pretty sure an A-10 cannot be destroyed. I believe it was in the PDG about a female pilot that came in after a run and took a stinger and lost her left wing and the bitch was still flying.

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
Im pretty sure an A-10 cannot be destroyed. I believe it was in the PDG about a female pilot that came in after a run and took a stinger and lost her left wing and the bitch was still flying.

Not sure about the gander of the pilot, but I did watch a documentary on the A-10 and one landed with just one wing

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member

Yes. And +1 to Broke7.

This is the reason I think a drone will eventually replace the A-10 has to do with speed and loitering capabilities. The Apache brings a lot of weapons and ammo to a fight but it's slow compared to fix wing, has a limited range compared to fix wing and has a small window of play time. The Apache has its place but is no replacement for the A-10. A drone can more closely fill the role of the A-10, just not a drone currently in service IMO. A larger drone outfitted with a larger payload and a decent main gun would be great. In the end though unless someone builds another aircraft around a massive main gun like the A-10 was it will never be a true replacement.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
they also want to limit pay increases and make military people pay more for health insurance.

welcome to the new USA

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
The A-10 has always been on the chopping block, from before it got off the drawing board. Before Desert Storm it was due to be cancelled.

Meanwhile the A-10 is one of the most applied-for spots by pilots and crew, and it just keeps racking up the hits, and they keep thinking up new things for it to do. One of its big roles right now is in coordinating and facilitating SAR missions.

BLOWN PONY

Established Member

Machster03

Established Member
It won't be long before the A-10 is gone. I just so happen to be an A-10 crew chief and just switched squadrons from the same squadron that Captain was a part of in that story above...74th Flying Tigers. The A-10 days are numbered and probably fewer than you may think. Supposedly the training programs that pipeline A-10 guys go through are closing up and that goes for pilots as well. You can only cross train for so long before all of your core A-10 guys are gone. I came from F-16's myself about 2 years ago.

HeyNow!

Established Member
I love the A-10 as much as the next guy, but it's a single role aircraft. It's only good at one thing. In contested air space, it wouldn't do very well.

With the DoD's budget getting the chop, the AF can't afford a single role plane with a mission that can be fulfilled by other current (F-16/15E) and future (F-35) aircraft.

Again, as much as I love the plane, it's an obvious decision at the end of the day.

Machster03

Established Member
I love the A-10 as much as the next guy, but it's a single role aircraft. It's only good at one thing. In contested air space, it wouldn't do very well.

With the DoD's budget getting the chop, the AF can't afford a single role plane with a mission that can be fulfilled by other current (F-16/15E) and future (F-35) aircraft.

Again, as much as I love the plane, it's an obvious decision at the end of the day.

Fighters can work those roles but not as efficiently. Granted the A-10 is a beast, it's never going to dog fight but it wasn't built for that and let's be honest, the days of that are gone. You would be amazed at how much the plane can take. It's way more maintenance friendly meaning a decent crew chief can fix a problem on it comparable to a fighter in less time. Because of the fuel efficiency of the engines it can stay in the air longer meaning more overhead vigilance for boots on the ground. Also, because of it's slower speed, greater loiter time. Factor in the large pay loads they can carry plus the 30mm gun.....lots of boom for a longer time. If I were that guy on the ground, you could keep your expensive transformer

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member

I can just imagine the rules of engagement for a F-35 costing 150 million per copy plus. They sure as hell are not gonna be allowed to purchase anywhere near the original buy number.

Users who are viewing this thread