RESULTS: 5.0 Mag CAI Shootout

Hunter6

Established Member
All of this anticipation is killing me. I ordered the UPR the other day but now I am considering returning it (despite the 20% "restocking" fee). I have an unmodified car so the "25hp" winner would be my obvious choice. But there is no way I can wait. Is the Densecharger the consensus winner...if it is...is it the one with the 6 or 9 inch filter? I need help. I can't continue to drive around with my car suffocating.

Blackcobra

Established Member
I'm betting Densecharger won. We already know the 6" tested better than the 9" from the post by Mr. De Molet of Densecharger... but that's all he gave us.

gchronis

Get used to avatar
Established Member
Originally posted by Hunter6
I can't continue to drive around with my car suffocating.

Me neither. I've over analyzed it again and again. I agree with BlackCobra. I think the DC won. Either way, looks like a really good system. 20% restocking fee?!?!?! :bash: That's outrageous! And it's $200, $50 more than DC. That just sucks. Are you sure you are going to stay stock? I'd tell you to get the DC, but Dr. Jamie said that with mods they're all about the same. If you are going to stay stock for sure, then I'd get the DC. But you'll see. You won't stay stock for long... :burnout:

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
I agree with 20% being absolutely ludicrous. The more I hear about UPR the less I want anything to do with them. :loser:

JP DEMOLET

Established Member
I've checked with 5.0 mag and can't release any info other than the filter testing.

I told them I felt obligated to release the filter testing comparison since it was only applicable to my system and I didn't want any customers thinking I was sending too small a filter. I've seen great results with the "match-up" of this filter all along from the 96's up and didn't want system sales affected in the 2-3 month interim period.

I'll restate what I stated before the shootout: My standard 100mm system with the 6" K&N is the best performance and value available for the 96' up GTs, Bullitts, and Cobras!

Over the past three years with thousands of the systems now inservice these are the filter question results:

1. I haven't had ANY K&Ns pass moisture in the lower inner fender area. I've always felt the price of the K&Ns worth this.
2. Don't duct anything to the filter as the location is the key to colder intake charges with "draw through" meters not requiring any "forced air". Ducting will also introduce excessive moisture and debris into the filter. The front end design works as an ''airdam" without allowing excessive moisture entering behind the fender liner. Imagine the corrosion problem that would result without these particular aerodynamics.
3. It's where you live and the particular exposure that affects the K&N. i.e....here in N.C. we have a yearly pollen season and I clean my K&N once a year when the pollen cycle ceases. If I lived on a dirt road I'd clean it every few months. If I lived in a city without excessive dirt exposure I'd clean it every 20,000 miles.
4. A competition system offers far greater performance with the necessary filter maintenance.
5. I wouldn't even offer my system with a paper element filter.
6. The K&Ns will not "oil" up the MAF system. Customer over-oiling can cause this and is easily remedied by spraying CRC electrical contact cleaner into the sampling tube in the meter and then allowing it to quickly "air dry", not using any forced air.
7. The K&N straightens airflow and allows increased performance with the elimination of the factory meter screen being that the intake charge is now "double screened" for debris.

I had one K&N in my boat for 12 YEARS and it still worked great with cleaning it once a year.

Elapidae

Festively Plump
Established Member
Originally posted by JP DEMOLET
<snipped>
I'll restate what I stated before the shootout: My standard 100mm system with the 6" K&N is the best performance and value available for the 96' up GTs, Bullitts, and Cobras!
<snipped>

Sounds like we have a winner :lol:

Now lets see if my financial advisor will sign off on this one. (none so far) :(

JP DEMOLET

Established Member
Jim, is there much of a difference in color between the mineral gray and the new gray? Mineral gray has got to be one of the best colors I've ever seen on the Cobras!

There's a local mineral gray new Saleen here with the striping in silver. Looks unbelievable!

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Originally posted by JP DEMOLET
Jim, is there much of a difference in color between the mineral gray and the new gray? Mineral gray has got to be one of the best colors I've ever seen on the Cobras!

There's a local mineral gray new Saleen here with the striping in silver. Looks unbelievable!

There isn't much difference up close, but from a distance there is a huge difference. I got the opportunity to view both side-by-side at a local dealership, and I have to say - the Dark Shadow Grey is an AWESOME color. It would be my second choice if I didn't already have my Sonic Blue being built at the time.

A's Cobra

Established Member
4. A competition system offers far greater performance with the necessary filter maintenance.

what do you mean by a competion system offering greater performance???? How much rwhp would say a good competion system offer on say a stock 03 or modified cobra?

Users who are viewing this thread