Residential HVAC Recommendations - Brands

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Hi All,

Over the weekend my 19 year old gas furnace decided to be a pain in the ballz. I goofed with (cleaned) flame detectors and igniter and it works intermittently now. We have a tech coming today for PM and diagnosis.

I'm preparing for one of the options to be complete replacement of furnace and AC unit. The condenser outside is badly corroded. I've been playing roulette with this thing for a few years now.

My questions:

Which manufacturer would you recommend, and why?

Would you recommend a whole home humidifier?

Air purification unit?

Any other options or items you'd recommend?

House is 1750 square feet. AC unit is currently 2.5 tons.

Last edited:

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I just put a 4 ton 20 Seer Trane in this summer with matching air handler. What a beast, quite and efficient as hell. I'm in SW Fl though.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I had a Goodman 5 ton compressor and furnace installed 11 years ago. It lasted almost 10 years exactly. The compressor went out. I called the company who installed it, but they couldn't get out to me at the time I wanted. I live in TX and it went out in summer when it's hot as hell. I called another company who came out and installed a Rudd. Have had the Rudd compressor for a little over a year now. My Goodman furnace had the blower motor go out about a year ago. I replaced the motor myself and it's still going strong.

I believe most units are designed to last about 10 years. After that it's just a matter of time before it needs to be replaced. I think Trane, Goodman and Rudd are listed as reputable companies (My parents run a Lenox with no problems). I didn't go with Trane just because I thought it was a tad on the expensive side, but have heard nothing but good things. My Goodman lasted 10 years and it gets hot as hell here in El Paso, so my compressor got a workout. My Rudd is working great so far.

I say do some Google searching and look for reviews of different brands from folks in your type of climate. Here in Texas it is very dry, but hot. Florida it rains a lot. Not sure how the weather is in Joliet or if you have issues with falling leaves or other debris getting into your system, etc.

I do not have any type of additions to my system. No humidifier, No air purifier (only a filter system that comes with the blower to filter the air as it circulates), etc. So, I'm not sure if those types of things are needed or how well they work. Sorry.

As far as other accessories, my Goodman came with a wireless thermostat with remote control. This was nice because my house is two story. So, I had the thermostat set downstairs, but if I were too cold or hot upstairs I cold just grab the remote and adjust my settings. Nowadays they have thermostats that work off apps. So, you can use your phone to adjust the system (i.e. your in bed and want to turn up the heat before you get out of bed you can use your phone instead of walking to the thermostat). I would definitely have something like this added to your system if you need to replace it.

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Thank you for the replies.

I started down the wormhole of google reviews. Seemed far too scammy. A lot of good SEO happening. I guess I trust the opinion of my fellow SVTP'er far more than some rando (incentivized) google review.

Hoping a seller/installer may chime in with their industry experience and perspective.

bigmoose

Established Member
No input on the furnace but if you want a humidifier I suggest the Aprilaire 800. It's a steam humidifier that adapts to you existing furnace duct so little to no risk of mold like an evaporative humidifier and virtually no maintenance. I have one and keep my house at 50% all winter, it's amazing. Biggest drawback is you will see an increase in electrical usage since it's boiling the water, but worth it imho.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Thank you for the replies.

I started down the wormhole of google reviews. Seemed far too scammy. A lot of good SEO happening. I guess I trust the opinion of my fellow SVTP'er far more than some rando (incentivized) google review.

I hear you and agree. I never look at business reviews (i.e. Business "X" installed my A/C system and they are the greatest business I ever dealt with) LMAO!!!!

I mainly look at brand reviews. Unless someone is getting a kick back from said business the reviews are normally based on their experience with the brand. Just like me, I have zero experience with Trane or Lenox, but I do with Goodman and Rudd.

I'm sure more SVTP members will chime in. I think there are a few here with HVAC experience.

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
our home is 2600 and we just got a new 5 ton unit from lenox. sucker rattles the copper in the walls when it comes on but dang does that mother work. 10 year warranty.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Went with an American Standard unit to replace my 18-year old unit that was on its last leg. Couldn't be happier. It's a 16.5 SEER unit and it cut my electric bill in half.

U.M.

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Ok. The results:

Was quoted both American Standard and Trane. Both manufactured by Ingersoll Rand.

The company selling Trane ended up have a personal connection so I was able to get "friends & family" price. Over $2K cheaper than the AS unit. Similar specs and scope. The Sales Manager is the son of one of my employees. So lots of incentive to not screw this up. lol.

14.5 Seer 3 Ton AC unit, XR13
80K furnace, 80%, 2 Stage, Variable Speed, XV80
Aprilaire 700
Air scrubber
Installed

$6.6k

So much for my supermoto bike this spring. lol

Users who are viewing this thread