Reseal and replace Diff Differential cover without dropping IRS/axle

cobrakon

Established Member
Looking to reseal my differential without dropping the IRS/axle. I plan on removing the stock cover and replacing with an LPW. I know i have seen a writeup on this but i can't find it. If someone can post a link for me or if anyone knows the steps involved i would really appreciate it.

Fat-cat

Established Member
I dont think you need to take it all apart to do that however you will need to drop the diff down a bit to get the clearance you need to pull the cover off. Im sure someone with first hand experience will chime in.

jm35ny

Established Member
My diff needs resealing also, i didnt think you needed to pull the halfshafts out. If the rear has never been apart before it can be tuff real to break everything apart.

MBoyle1

redfire
Established Member
It can be done but what bushings do you have,if you are on the oem rubber you should think about droping the rear assembly & doing it all at once!I just took mine out in 2 hr. By myself!

SWAMPMODULAR

FAIRWARNING
Established Member
I did the LPW cover myself and bushings, I dropped the center and followed MM bushing directions. worked great! Had to pull the half shafts too.

Spoolx

Established Member
I was considering dropping the whole assembly and doing all the bushings but it seems like a TON of work

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
It's really not that hard to drop the diff out of the assembly.

Unbolt driveshaft, Pull halfshafts, unbolt rear bolts, unbolt front support, drop out of car.

speedyal

Established Member
Hey,
I just put a lpw cover on my 04. I tried to do this without dropping the IRS out of car. I ended up removing both axles and then dropped the center section .Then put the unit on a bench and removed cover and also replaced the front Carrier bushings and the rear bushing at same time ,it took around four hours with air tools . Just remember to use the grey rtv sealer from ford .

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
Why do u have to pull the axles? Can't u just drop it all and leave the brakes?

And you'll have to pull the axles to get the diff at the right angle to actually put the new cover on.

It really is nothing to pull halfshafts, they pop in and out no issues.

cobrakon

Established Member
I found this writeup (03 Cobra IRS Swap) on how to drop the irs. It looks pretty good and straightforward. Does anyone have anything to add to it? I still want to try without dropping the irs so again if anyone has a writeup or steps involved i would appreciate it. Thanks to everyone so far for their replies.

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
There is a write-up somewhere on how to remove the pumpkin without dropping the IRS. I promise it is much less headache.

The reason I say that is last time I dropped my entire IRS it took 3 people and a large hammer to get the front mounts back in as the mounting points had closed up some since it was originally installed.

MBoyle1

redfire
Established Member
^ yea,they close down! You just need to spread them back out with a piece of threaded rod & nuts & large washers.

Spoolx

Established Member
So I need to do this, did anyone have a good method of dropping the pumpkin without dropping the whole IRS assembly?

Thanks
Rich

32V10TH

Stroked
Established Member
Me and the O.P. are going to be tackling this Saturday morning on my car. Here is a post we found over on modular fords.

''You have enough room to get the cover off, take out the 4 bolts on the bar infront of the diff. and take out the 2 bolts in back of the diff, remove the drive shaft and push the diff forward remove the bolts on the cover and should have enough room, I did. Shops just say you have to so they can take from your wallet''

Spoolx

Established Member
I am going to remove the pumpkin to insure I do it properly..

So halfshafts,driveshaft, and front/ rear mounts and the pumpkin drops out? I already have the catback off.

Users who are viewing this thread