Requesting opinion on original KR wheels..

Willie

Established Member
What do you think is the value for a set of four with centercaps, in excellent condition? I know of a set that's up for sale but don't know what they're worth. Thanks.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Im not sure to best honest. Doesnt come up too often as they demand wasnt that high. I would assume if planning to keep for years down the road for resale it would be worth while.

Willie

Established Member
Well, they were OEM for only two years and how many total KR's were built? I don't know. The sheer number means they are "rare", but are they desirable? I don't know that either.

And you're right. You virtually never see these for sale. That makes me wonder how much they're worth.

Willie

Last edited:

Willie

Established Member
Let me ask this way, would you pay $1400 for a new looking set of four, including the original center caps and like new original tires?
KR Wheel.jpg

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Let me ask this way, would you pay $1400 for a new looking set of four, including the original center caps and like new original tires?View attachment 1719792
I think the price is fair, and if i was in the market id consider it at that price. What is your end goal? To use them on a vehicle or to hold them for resale at some point?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
My opinion, it’s a great design as the 20” Alcoa version. The OEM 18” is definitely not my cup of tea, it’s chunky and boring compared to the 20” Alcoa. It’s only worth much to someone wanting to stay strictly OEM or KR.
It is rare tho.
-J

Willie

Established Member
I think the price is fair, and if i was in the market id consider it at that price. What is your end goal? To use them on a vehicle or to hold them for resale at some point?
To be honest, I arbitrarily said $1400 to see if this was fair. He's actually asking considerably less. If you factor out the cost of the tires, he's asking less than $190 per wheel. How much are aftermarket wheels with a similar design? About that or slightly less, isn't it?

I was not looking for any specific wheels, just browsing to see what's out there when I saw these. I knew this was pretty rare, knowing an owner of a KR would likely never be selling the original wheels. So I think it would be a good investment... to hold onto and sell in the future.... to the "new" KR owner who bought the car without the wheels, lol.... and wants all original. Bet he'd pay gold....
My opinion, it’s a great design as the 20” Alcoa version. The OEM 18” is definitely not my cup of tea, it’s chunky and boring compared to the 20” Alcoa. It’s only worth much to someone wanting to stay strictly OEM or KR.
It is rare tho.
-J
I agree. These wheels are a good example of going all original and like I said, someone would pay good bucks to do so. I know I would, but I don't own a KR, nor do I want to. But maybe just the wheels... hmmm....

Willie

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
If there was potential for a large profit down the road, why wouldn't the seller hang onto them ??
Money for drugs or strippers? :)
Never can tell why people do things but I think they’re cool to buy and hang on to as garage art or flip.
-J

Willie

Established Member
Personally, I never sell original parts I replace with aftermarket on my cars. Because you never know if you'll be returning it to stock for whatever reason(s), and the $$$ you get selling those parts is usually not much. Who wants stock parts, right? I've done this a long time ago only to regret it. As for others and why they do, who knows. I think I'll message the seller to ask if he owns the car these wheels came off of and why he's selling. He's about 120 miles away, so it's not a 10 minute drive to check them out in person...

Willie

68gtscode

Established Member
I’d say if you like the wheels and would enjoy owning them, go ahead and buy. Sounds like you wouldn’t likely loose money, anyhow. If you’re doing it only to speculate the price may go way up to make a big return, I think there are better ways to spend your money… If I put all of my retirement funds in car parts rather than mutual funds, I’d never be able to retire :-(

Willie

Established Member
I’d say if you like the wheels and would enjoy owning them, go ahead and buy. Sounds like you wouldn’t likely loose money, anyhow. If you’re doing it only to speculate the price may go way up to make a big return, I think there are better ways to spend your money… If I put all of my retirement funds in car parts rather than mutual funds, I’d never be able to retire :-(
Frankly, I don't like the style at all. I do agree there are (much) better ways to invest. However, I do look at this particular deal as money making, considering the asking price AND the rarity.

You need to factor the value of the tires at zero. They're way past their safe life span.
Agreed.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
There are many KR's changing hands right now and there have been for the last few years. I agree that the tires are worth zero for street use, but if someone has a KR that has been used (a few miles) and has had the usual tire replacement, wheel dings etc. and they are interested in having a nice set of wheels for their car, your opportunity to buy now and sell later to someone who is "in need" to make their car nice again will be a money gain at some point.........AND, if the owner is striving to bring the KR back to trailer queen condition, those oem tires will definitely roll the car from a garage to a trailer and from a trailer to the MCA judging position............

The ONLY drawback is the space that tires/wheel can take up in storage........

R

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I personally like the styling. IMO you can't lose money going forward if you buy them. Unless you mount them and wear out the tires. LOL.

Willie

Established Member
I picked them up this past weekend. I put them on my car to test the pressure monitors and to satisfy my curiosity what they look like. To be frank, I did this going in REALLY liking my chromed stockers. After one day of staring at her, I concluded that I like my stockers much better, so off they came.
Side 001.JPG

Ahhh..... MUCH better! And maintaining chrome is so much easier than polished aluminum. To each his own I suppose...

Users who are viewing this thread