Reputable tuner via email or local dyno tune?

TrackpackGT

Established Member
Without going into details, I need a new tuner. I have a few local shops, Piedmont Custom Motorsports and Fastlane Motorsports. Would/should I be better going with an email tune or go with one of my two local shops. I don't know a whole lot about the local guys, I've heard good things about Fastlane's cars though. I already have a SCT X4. I know who the reputable tuners are here on the forum. Datalogging isn't what I call fun, I would imagine the dyno is the better of the two. My car is pretty much stock with the exception of the GT500 mufflers. I can tell a ton of difference with my current tune vs stock, that's for sure. I'm just getting detonation at WOT, it's faint, but it's there. I was all "set up" to meet with the tuner while I was down in his area, then got no responses as the time came for me to drive down there.

myke hunt

Feugo
Established Member
I just went with Bama to try them out and I am really really impressed. If you do your research the big names are VMP, Lund, AED, and Bama. You can't go wrong with any of those tuners.

TrackpackGT

Established Member
Yea, I know who the reputable guys are for an "email" tune. Just debating on whether it's worth paying for a local dyno tune or not.

Sloppy12

Established Member
since your pretty much stock I would do email to save you money. Kinda pointless to spend the extra cash just to get on a dyno.

TrackpackGT

Established Member
That's what I was thinking, just wanted to see if others thought the same. I would think it's a fairly run of the mill tune, although I know no two cars are identical. I'm more concerned about an accurate a/f ratio.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
That's what I was thinking, just wanted to see if others thought the same. I would think it's a fairly run of the mill tune, although I know no two cars are identical. I'm more concerned about an accurate a/f ratio.

Why would you be concerned about a more accurate a/f ratio? These cars have widebands from the factory, with an email tune it will be spot on just like on a dyno. These cars have absolutely no need to ever be strapped down to a dyno.

Newbomb Turk

Established Member
Just e-mail tune, all I did was some rear suspension mods, M&H drag radials & e-mail tune, everything else is STOCK, ran 12.37 @ 112 mph. Car is a 2011 A6. Big difference on the tune up! That's all you will need!

AKDMB

Established Member
As others have said email tune for the lack of mods, it will get you dialed quickly and accurately without even dagalogging. They might be out the way for you, but Pro-Dyno in Fort Mills, SC tunes a bunch of coyotes. They have a very good reputation in the NC/SC area for tuning mustangs. I can't count how many Pro-Dyno tuned cars I have seen running around.

TrackpackGT

Established Member
Because my current tune has detonation (or at least it sounds like it to me) at WOT in the higher revs. I know it has a wideband 02, which has me puzzled. Glad to know the email tune is the way to go. Thanks again guys.

Sledder

Established Member
After a problem with my original tuner (another story, another time) I went with a Lund e-mail tune thru Lethal. Comprehensive questionnaire followed up by talking to Lethal. Just a CAI at the time. Car ran great with good street manners. Even picked up a tenth or two over the previous tune.

Users who are viewing this thread