Replacing the Mach 460

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
I still have my tweeters in the rear, and the head unit. The head unit has displays “CD error” when you switch to CD, but otherwise it’s fine. I may also have the door speakers still, but I’ll check later this week. They’re not plugged in currently. I’m in GA as well. When I get the car back from the machine shop, I can probably pull them out in no time.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
I wonder if the rear tweeters are the same as the front door tweeters? I have a convertible, and rear tweeters were never installed.

...and I always look forward to meeting members.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

NoahConstrictor

Established Member
If it’s a Mach 460, there should be tweeters in the boxes behind the panels on either side of the rear seats.
Image1526842354.416857.jpg

I had a 98 convertible, so they should be about the same in the new edge. I would be curious, if there are no tweeters, if there is anything to hook them up to. The speakers in the rear are the same as the front.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
If it’s a Mach 460, there should be tweeters in the boxes behind the panels on either side of the rear seats. View attachment 1488838
I had a 98 convertible, so they should be about the same in the new edge. I would be curious, if there are no tweeters, if there is anything to hook them up to. The speakers in the rear are the same as the front.

I have yet to look behind the rear panels.

I do know that I have a tweeter rattling. I changed the head unit, but I do not want the expense of changing out the entire system right now. I'm trying to replace parts that I can as they start to fail.

I really need to install a sub at some point, but I'm not sure where I would put the thing.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

52merc

Established Member
I've "tuned" a little more and I'm pretty happy with the results. The Pioneer AVIC-8200NEX is working very well. The touch screen is easy to use. It does reflect a lot of light if the sun shines directly on the screen, but I guess this would happen with any display.

Although the bass is pretty good, I'm thinking of adding a sub. The bass just doesn't sound as good as my F150 (with premium sound which includes a sub). The Rockford Fosgate P2D2-10 is what I'm considering. I'll build a custom sealed box to fit into the right side of the trunk in the "recess" that is there. That way it shouldn't take up too much space and the rest of the system isd already in place. Just have to flip a switch, turn subwoofer on at the head, and tune.

I can crank the head unit to full volume without hearing any distortion (part of R-F tuning procedure if the head unit can handle it) but I normally listed to it at about 1/3. There are still some things to adjust. The operations manual is huge and it will take me some time to read (and digest) it all.

As I mentioned before, this was much more work than I originally anticipated, but was not over complicated. Designing and building the speaker adapter brackets is something that requires some fabrication skill (and tools) but was reasonably straight forward. Installing the wiring required gutting the interior and spending about as much time planning the routing as actually pulling wires. So far I would rate this upgrade as an 8.5 out of ten (just because I'm really a perfectionist with this type of stuff).

52merc

Established Member
Mounting the R600X5 amp was really easy. I reused the OE sound box as was my plan. I removed the original amp protector "wall" from the sound box.
Sound Box Mod.jpg

I purchased 3 ft of 0.75" square aluminum tubing from Home Depot. I drilled large holes (big enough for the original amp mounting screws to go through) on the bottom side and small holes on the top side. I drilled pilot holes in the sound box and mounted the 2 brackets. The large holes allow the screw to go through the one side of the tubing and tighten up on the other leaving them countersunk in the tubing. I cut-off the ends of the tubing at 45, drilled holes for the amp mounting screws. I positioned the amp with about 2" extending ahead of the sound box. It fits nicely where the PS OE amp was mounted. The OE screws are for plastic with special threads and bite well. This mounting offers cooling on all sides of the amp.

Amp Mount.jpg

The finished sound box is shown below. I made my own speaker adapter plates and lucked out with the crossover mounting. I am very happy with how this turned out.

Finished Box.jpg

shurur

Established Member
sorry to bother you, but your new unit has front & rear cameras display?..as I recall from the spec..
Could you post up some pics of the how the views look on the screen sometime?
Thanks

52merc

Established Member
I only have one camera and its rear mounted so I can show you a view from that. I have not turned on or calibrated the parking aid yet. Maybe tomorrow I'll have some time to do that for you.

52merc

Established Member
This is a picture of the backup camera image with the parking guide turned on and calibrated. I'm almost exactly 2 m (6.5 ft) from the garage entrance. It is bright sunshine. I think the camera does a good job of the contrast as you can still see some details inside the garage even though there are no lights on. The image at night is not bad bu I don't have a night picture yet.
Backup 1 Small.jpg
You can reverse the image in the settings I you want. The parking guide does not change with your steering like my F150 does, but it should still be helpful.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Subscribing, this is exactly what I want to do with mine eventually minus the touchscreen. Looks really good though, re-using the factory soundbox is legit and looks like you did a CLEAN install.

52merc

Established Member
I thought I'd give an update on this project. After a lot of adjusting I got the sound to be what I wanted. It sounds so much better than the OE Mach 460 system. Even at that, I decided, having already installed everything I need, to get a sub-woofer and complete the project. I got a great deal from Amazon on a Rockford Fosgate P3D4-10 and already started making a custom enclosure for it.

52merc

Established Member
I finished the subwoofer installation. The enclosure is 3/4" MDF, glued and screwed, then covered in some "Trunk Liner" carpet I got at Canadian Tire. The enclosure is 0.58 cuft which is within Rockford Fosgate recommendation for the P3D4-10. I designed the cabinet to tuck into the corner of the trunk so it tales up as little room as necessary. Sounds great. My bass is stronger than before and I think I may have to turn the gain down a little on the amp. I got a little too generous with the gain. The pictures below show the finished enclosure, then the installation. I made a bracket which uses the exposed "studs" from the trunk lid hinges and holds the cabinet in place.
Sub1 LR.jpg
Sub4 LR.jpg
Sub5 LR.jpg

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Dude... that's professional as ****...

If you have the dimensions of all the pieces for that box I'd be super grateful...

52merc

Established Member
Material is 0.75" MDF. The hole for the terminal panel is not shown and will depend on what you get for that. This cabinet size is good for a sealed box using the RF P3D4-10. The RF website (and many others as well) gives the required volumes for sealed and vented boxes. I inserted my terminal panel in the upper part of the left hand 45 and wired it for 2 ohm.

Attachments

• Box Assembly.pdf
    15.1 KB · Views: 136
  • Box Front.pdf
    17.9 KB · Views: 98
  • Box Top and Bottom.pdf
    17.4 KB · Views: 125
  • Box Sides.pdf
    19.8 KB · Views: 111
  • Box 45s.pdf
    20.7 KB · Views: 145
  • Box Back.pdf
    20.4 KB · Views: 128

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Material is 0.75" MDF. The hole for the terminal panel is not shown and will depend on what you get for that. This cabinet size is good for a sealed box using the RF P3D4-10. The RF website (and many others as well) gives the required volumes for sealed and vented boxes. I inserted my terminal panel in the upper part of the left hand 45 and wired it for 2 ohm.
Damn thanks man I appreciate it.

Sent from my Z978 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread