Replacing power steering rack questions.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Hey guys,

I'm hoping to get my SN95 steering rack in the car in a few weeks.

My main question is, how exact do I need to get everything if I'm getting an alignment. Such as, making sure the rack is centered, tie rods being close to what they were on the old rack, ect.

My steering wheel is already off a bit. Driving straight the wheel is clocked at about 1' o'clock.

And I've read a few ways on how to change the power steering fluid. What's the preferred method?

Thanks

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I’d count how many turns you take the the out tie rod ends off your old rack unless you’re replacing them. In that case just eyeball and get them close if you’re getting an alignment ASAP. They can get your steering wheel straight too.

As far as the PS fluid goes you’ll probably lose most of it changing it. I changed mine when I changed my pump years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I’d count how many turns you take the the out tie rod ends off your old rack unless you’re replacing them. In that case just eyeball and get them close if you’re getting an alignment ASAP. They can get your steering wheel straight too.

As far as the PS fluid goes you’ll probably lose most of it changing it. I changed mine when I changed my pump years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll probably reuse the outer tie rods. They are Moogs and probably have less than 500 miles on them.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
I changed mine a couple months ago. I counted the threads from the end of the outer tie rod until the last thread. I also marked the position on the old unit in case I needed to reference.

idk if you already have the steering shaft knocked out of the old one, but mine was a pita. I wound up disconnecting the steering shaft from the joint just before the firewall, which made is much easier. Hope this helps

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I changed mine a couple months ago. I counted the threads from the end of the outer tie rod until the last thread. I also marked the position on the old unit in case I needed to reference.

idk if you already have the steering shaft knocked out of the old one, but mine was a pita. I wound up disconnecting the steering shaft from the joint just before the firewall, which made is much easier. Hope this helps
Thanks for the tips. I'll definitely count the threads and make some measurements. I have the mm solid steering shaft. Hopefully that comes out easier than the oem one.

I'll be sell that at some point as I had to buy a new one for the SN95 rack.

Users who are viewing this thread