Replacing head unit (factory nav)

bostonbands

Established Member
Anyone change the actual head unit on their GT500 with the electronics package? I had been quoted a new system (speakers, amp, KENwood HU, etc) with the idatalink setup but was told it doesn’t support the electronics package or the gt500 because there are additional performance related features in the factory head unit. Then they tried Metra and they said the same thing. I thought it inconceivable that by now, no one makes a kit for a 2010 GT500 (Convertable) with factory NAV (electronics package). So i called metra myself in Daytona beach. Their website allows me to select my car as the gt500 (although it doesn’t ask me if i have the electronics package) so i assumed they’d say “yeah, we support that”. They said no! They haven’t tested their stuff but know from people trying it that it doesn’t quite work. Since i’m Local they are seeing if their engineers want to borrow my car to test and maybe make something work. Which i might do.

But bigger question, what would i actually lose if i do the system anyway? What “performance features” are in the gt500/nav that aren’t in say a GT? Anyone know? Or anyone done this with a different vendor?

PM-Performance

Established Member
I do not know of performance related features in the unit, but I looked at a 10-12 car and looks like a headache swapping the head unit because the HVAC controls. It can be done as lots of people have done it, its just alot of extra stuff involved

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I believe the issue with the electronics package is the powered woofers in the lower door trim. The amp can be bypassed.

PM-Performance

Established Member
I believe the issue with the electronics package is the powered woofers in the lower door trim. The amp can be bypassed.
this is different than the powered door subs on the Shaker 1k in the earlier cars? Cuz it is super straight forward on the 07-09 Shaker1k cars

bostonbands

Established Member
I do not know of performance related features in the unit, but I looked at a 10-12 car and looks like a headache swapping the head unit because the HVAC controls. It can be done as lots of people have done it, its just alot of extra stuff involved

The HVAC features are covered with the conversion kits (idatalink or metra, and others). What the dealer and the actual vendor are saying is NO, this will not work on a Shelby that came with factory nav. they don't even know what the features are but things like traction control. you say "people have done it". i'm looking for those people to share insight. as far as i can tell from searching, no one has actually done it.

bostonbands

Established Member
this is different than the powered door subs on the Shaker 1k in the earlier cars? Cuz it is super straight forward on the 07-09 Shaker1k cars

all that has been replaced. new speakers, amps, subs entire car. i just had to buy some parts to make it all work from the original factory head unit. which sucks.

bostonbands

Established Member
I mean, If you really want an OE style navi unit:

Navos Mustang OE-Style Touchscreen Navigation 406142 (10-14 All)

Its not the factory unit, but seems like a hell of a lot simpler to install.

Thanks. Looking to change to a modern system like kenwood with CarPlay. My existing sync system has all this on touch screen. It’s just old crappy software. This system does not retain SYNC, it replaces everything so i’m Surprised they claim support for GT500. I’ll keep looking thanks

RBB

Established Member
How is the GT500 with nav any different from another trim level with nav? There are no extra performance features to speak of. I have no doubt there are plenty of guys who have swapped out their head units.

PM-Performance

Established Member
The HVAC features are covered with the conversion kits (idatalink or metra, and others). What the dealer and the actual vendor are saying is NO, this will not work on a Shelby that came with factory nav. they don't even know what the features are but things like traction control. you say "people have done it". i'm looking for those people to share insight. as far as i can tell from searching, no one has actually done it.

I did not know traction control was in the radio. Crazy.
Ill see if I can find the post where the one dude laid out all he did to link all that stuff up. It was actually a car I was looking at buying and I tracked the prev owner down only because I googled that radio in a GT500 and found this long crazy post about how to get it all to work

PM-Performance

Established Member

try to google ninjak. He has a bunch of posts on themustangsource.com about how he did his with his Kenwood

RBB

Established Member
I did not know traction control was in the radio. Crazy.
Ill see if I can find the post where the one dude laid out all he did to link all that stuff up. It was actually a car I was looking at buying and I tracked the prev owner down only because I googled that radio in a GT500 and found this long crazy post about how to get it all to work
Traction control is not on the nav unit. It's down by the shifter.

bostonbands

Established Member
try to google ninjak. He has a bunch of posts on themustangsource.com about how he did his with his Kenwood

That’s exactly what i want to do, but his car did not come with factory nav. You can tell because he has the meta data up top with the temperature. That piece is from the original cal. The kit doesn’t come with it and they don’t make the kit for cars that don’t have that. Plus i can’t tell if he has a Shelby or just a GT. The Shelby is what idatalink and metra are saying don’t work

PM-Performance

Established Member
That’s exactly what i want to do, but his car did not come with factory nav. You can tell because he has the meta data up top with the temperature. That piece is from the original cal. The kit doesn’t come with it and they don’t make the kit for cars that don’t have that. Plus i can’t tell if he has a Shelby or just a GT. The Shelby is what idatalink and metra are saying don’t work

he deff has it in a shelby because I almost bought the car. lol. It was an 11 SVTPP. It was not an original nav car though.

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
You can certainly bypass (ignore) anything that's in the nav unit. HVAC has addon modules for aftermarket. There are no "performance" features in the screen controls. New headunit, HVAC controls, new speakers, new amp, new wiring. Done. There's probably a module that will let you keep steering wheel controls. You're calling Metra, and of course they are saying they don't support the car. They make plug and play adapters. Just wire your own stuff. CarPlay? Try iPad mount: Alterum Mustang iPad Mini Dash Mount Kit 394077 (10-14 All)
Heck, they even make stuff like this now: 12.1" Vertical Screen Android Navigation Radio for Ford Mustang 2010 - 2014

Users who are viewing this thread