Replacement fuel line for return style set up

latinwrlord

Established Member
I have a 09 GT500 that is modified as most everyone else in the forums here. I have VMP fuel pump boosters now and a VMP tune. The tuner on the last tune update when I purchased the VMP 2.65 unit. Stated that if i wanted more power that I needed to upgrade the fuel system. I am currently running 112 Octane full time in the car even on the street. I have a company truck so I only drive the Shelby on the weekends. So, I purchased a replacement pump, regulators, pump controller, fuel rails, etc. I am down to just getting the fuel lines and some fittings. For those who swapped to a return style. What length hoses did you use? I want to make sure I purchase enough. That way I don't have to re-order. And unfortunately I am out of town and can not go into the garage and pull tape right now. Want to order the hose and fittings thru Hot Rod Fuel Hose now. So, they will be there when I get home. Any advice on the lengths?

Last edited:

PM-Performance

Established Member
So you are doing all these seperately instead of a kit?
If so, please post the details if it actually saved money. I am in the same boat, but hard to fork over the cash for $2k+ for a return system.

latinwrlord

Established Member
I was on the fence like yourself. Didn't want to shell out over 2k+ for as kit. So, I decided to buy pieces at a time. I have shopped several sellers online that carry Aeromotive brand fuel components and other leading fuel manufactures. I found the fuel pump controller on Craigslist brand new for 30% of what it is from Aeromotive. Purchased the fuel rails from the Shelby store. They were on clearance and saved a good bit. Which they still has a few sets in stock. Bought the Aeromotive regulator for half off for an open box sale. Inline 40 micron filter was bought used but had a new filter element with it still in the wrapper for $55 shipped off Ebay. It is was an Aeromotive filter. Bought the pump on special from Speedway motors. Which was a good price to start with. They have a promo right now which is $25 off $250 | $50 off $500 | $75 off $750 | $100 off $1000. I wanted the Aeromotive 18683 pump. Which is their drop in Eliminator series pump. Good for up to 1400 hp. I don't plan on going up to that. But figured you never know. With buying the hose from Hot Rod Fuel lines online. They have a bundle special with hoses and fittings that's not bad price. With everything should be around $1200-1300 without breaking out all the receipts and adding them up. The key is shopping Facebook market place, online stores, craigslist, etc. Just have to be patient and set up searches that will alert you when someone list an item your looking for. I picked up everything in the last 45 days or so. So, it didn't take long to get the pices.

PM-Performance

Established Member
I actually found a full aeromotive kit on Ebay a few months ago for $700 complete! I probably should have jumped on it

69b302

Established Member
Original dead head kit on my 07 GT500:
tank to regulator 50" and 53"(filter midway). forgot which one was front/back
return line: 111"
Dead head lines: 24.5" and 51"

This kit has the regulator mounted back of strut tower, which is horrible for some years due to AC evap. Didn't like the deadhead, so added added a Y block and two more lines(40" and 56") to make true return(regulator post fuel rails). I felt I had alot of pressure variation with the deadhead that converting to return solved, but plenty of people say deadhead runs ok. All my lines feed from the front of the engine and no lines run behind the blower. Gives you an idea of how much line, if you are making your own. If I did it from scratch now, I would move the regulator.

Last edited:

latinwrlord

Established Member
That gives me a good idea. Agreed on the dead head set up. I wasn’t planning on that. I have a few friends suggest not to due to variations. Thanks for the info.

latinwrlord

Established Member
I actually found a full aeromotive kit on Ebay a few months ago for $700 complete! I probably should have jumped on it

We may have seen the same one. I saw it when it was listed then went to look up everything to verify the set up. He didn’t have the pump regulator. It was the race version. But after a few hours of debating. I found a pump regulator and went back to Ebay and it was sold. I saved some snap shots of the kit. I believe this is the one.

fullboogie

Established Member
Fuel line is cheap compared to all the other components of your system. Just order more than you think you need and you'll be fine.

fullboogie

Established Member
One more thing to note - make SURE you get fuel line that is compatible with ethanol. I replaced some line on my car a few years ago only to find a leak a while back. There was no chafing or other damage to the line at all, and it was not leaking from the fittings. It was damaged from the ethanol over the years. I researched my fuel line - Russell Pro Classic - and it was not for use with any ethanol content.

Users who are viewing this thread