Replacement cats/down pipes on '12 ecoboost?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
my 3.5 has had issues with throwing a P0430 - bank 2 (which I assume is still driver side) cat below efficiency threshold. Previously it would come and go and might go away for months. I did replace the driver side rear sensor, didnt matter. Now it's throwing the light almost as fast as I can clear it. From what I can gather there were a lot of issues with earlier cats. Truck seems to run ok for now but looks like it's time to do something about it.

Anyone used an aftermarket replacement they're happy with or should I buy another OE cat? You can get just the OE cat section on the driver side for $500ish I think. I wouldn't be opposed to a new downpipe but I do want cats, don't want the smell or extra V6 noise (turbo whistle is ok).

@Livernois Motorsports - you all have any input on this?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Well this is fun…

SPD is a 3-4 week back order, guess I’ll look for other brands but all the EPA crap seems to have knocked down the aftermarket options.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Jerry, remember me talking about my 2.7 always throwing the cat codes for both sides? Well, about 3-4 months ago I ordered new rear O2’s from the Ford guy on here. I don’t know if the sensor has been updated, but the codes have never come back.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Jerry, remember me talking about my 2.7 always throwing the cat codes for both sides? Well, about 3-4 months ago I ordered new rear O2’s from the Ford guy on here. I don’t know if the sensor has been updated, but the codes have never come back.
I only get the driver side. I don’t know if there’s an updated sensor or not, I did replace that rear sensor and it made no difference at all. It’s ALL the time now. I’m gonna drop the heat shield and temp gun in and out on both sides and try logging again I guess.

It’s annoying as **** since remote start won’t work with a CEL

I do believe my truck dates back to when they had issues with the cat manufacture

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I only get the driver side. I don’t know if there’s an updated sensor or not, I did replace that rear sensor and it made no difference at all. It’s ALL the time now. I’m gonna drop the heat shield and temp gun in and out on both sides and try logging again I guess.

It’s annoying as **** since remote start won’t work with a CEL
I was getting it constantly too. I’d clear the code, but right back the next day. Interesting my remote start never had that issue with a cel.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I was getting it constantly too. I’d clear the code, but right back the next day. Interesting my remote start never had that issue with a cel.
Might have changed something in the last 8 years

I also had 2 eco boost shudder events in the past, one pretty severe so I’m just not surprised if the cat is screwed up

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Truck drives me nuts, light went out on its own a couple days after the last post and hasn’t returned

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
bottle of the chevron stuff plus do you ever floor it? I discovered after many months of driving like a grandpa if I'd mash the gas for an extended time there would be a large soot cloud. My rationing is those cats need to be unclogged. Good luck.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
bottle of the chevron stuff plus do you ever floor it? I discovered after many months of driving like a grandpa if I'd mash the gas for an extended time there would be a large soot cloud. My rationing is those cats need to be unclogged. Good luck.
actually not a bad point, with the 93 tune on it you rarely need WOT and not for long. Maybe a few extended pulls are in order, I assume the smoke is due to the tune being rich, time to hang the tuner in the window and watch the widebands as well

Users who are viewing this thread