• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Replaced Connecting Rod Bearings, now Engine is Hard to Turn by hand

Discussion in 'Engine/Tuning' started by SvtCobra0404, Jun 13, 2019.

1. SvtCobra0404

SvtCobra0404 Member Established Member

Replaced all my connecting rod bearings, Crankshaft Journals were in Okay shape so I decided to get brand new bearings from ford (oe spec/size).I made sure to use assembly lube on each part of the bearing/rod. As I followed the torque sequence: 177in ft lb, 28 ft lb, 105 degrees. I was able to torque down the first three in the sequence ford provided, but then the motor got tight to turn by hand. I had to undo the torque on them and then it spun freely. What could be going wrong here? Motor spun freely before it was pulled, removed oil pan and found damage on cylinder 2 rod bearing and decided to replace all bearings from ford. Would I need to send the crank out? And undersize my bearings? Please any input will help. Thanks

2. lucheski

lucheski Well-Known Member Established Member

What were your clearances? What did you use for your assembly lube?

3. StrayBullitt

StrayBullitt Well-Known Member Established Member

Make sure you aren't putting any lubrication on the back side of the shell of the bearing, make sure it is clean and dry. Idk about ordering factory bearings, I believe they need to be correctly sized for each journal that way, within a tolerance. If I were you I would order Clevite STD. bearings which should be sized in the middle of factory specs.