Replaced battery....car is still dead, need help

silvercoffin

Established Member
ahhh

oh yeah

alarm systems can do some weird things...

Even my trucks remote start does some weird crap..i dont think the shop installed it right

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
yeah...I'm going to go with the last two posts then....just check the basics...connnections and fueses. It shouldn't be the alternator. It might be bad as well, but it's not the main problem if the car won't start with a new battery.
Use a voltmeter. Not running it should ~12v. If the alt is working when fired-up it should be ~13v.
Also some new batteries aren't fully charged. Try doing a full charge.
Jeff
BTW, if the PATS system is FUBAR you'll have to get it re-keyed. It happened to our Taurus SES a few years ago.
Jeff

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Jeff, that's a good point about the new battery possibly not being charged. It does happen.

Nicky Pass

...boom goes the dynamite
Established Member
My GF has an Escape with an aftermarket alarm and remote start. One day, she went to go start the car and nothing happened. You'd turn the key and nothing would happen at all. It turned out the the alrm was messing with thte chip in the key. The alarm was yanked and everything was fine after that.

Orange Poison

Established Member
Yeah, I have the alarm that Galpin installs on their cars. I forget the brand off hand. I was against having them install the alarm. I actually didn't want it. But it was part of the agreement of getting MSRP at the time.

I'm hoping i can get it started....

Orange Poison

Established Member
Did you install the battery correctly? Was it a brand new battery?

If so, then go get a voltmeter somewhere. It will probably be almost impossible to determine the problem without one.

I thought about that too, i'm sure that i installed the battery correctly. I'm having this gut feeling it's the alarm system messing with it.

Nicky Pass

...boom goes the dynamite
Established Member
Yeah, I have the alarm that Galpin installs on their cars. I forget the brand off hand. I was against having them install the alarm. I actually didn't want it. But it was part of the agreement of getting MSRP at the time.

I'm hoping i can get it started....

I garuntee the starter kill from the alarm is messing up your car.....
Yank that crap out of there!

Users who are viewing this thread