Repainted cobra value

slowsix

Established Member
Looking for opinions on a car that has been repainted ?
How much does it kill the value ?

No color change, just a repaint of the factory silver metallic.
Someone keyed the car in the quarter panel, apparently a pissed off ex.

Friend is willing to sell, still waiting on him to give me a price though.
Clean title.

I know it depends on quality of the work for sure.
But let's say a 40k mile cobra with factory paint and same mods is worth 25k...
Is the repaint car worth 22? 21? 24?

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
I'd say, minimum, it reduces the value by the cost of a repaint of the fender. Worst case, assume the repaint is crap and rusts, and a new fender plus paint will be needed in the next couple years.

Squeezed out with help from the svtperformance.com mobile app

ccq8le

Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Party Liquor Posse
I agree it won't change value much. Things like that only matter when someone chooses between 2 cars and one has and one hasn't type decisions. Due to the fact there is not a whole lot of these cars available now, that type of situation is unlikely.

If you're the buyer tho try to use it in your favor, however it personally wouldn't bother me much as a buyer.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G965U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

MG0h3

Established Member
Well if it’s a quality job it doesn’t decrease value at all.

Or are you talking about you getting it done and taking it off the cost of the car?

Get a quote from a few good shops. Average it out. Work that into purchase price.

If my car had had a fresh paint job I would’ve been willing to pay more.

Just make sure it’s a good shop. There’s more shitty ones than good ones

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

slowsix

Established Member
This is the car in question prior to paint.

The red one is a car that the body shop repaint the cobra did.
Looks good in that pic, but can't see anything up close.

Attachments

• received_350622819706703.jpeg
    received_350622819706703.jpeg
    561.3 KB · Views: 177
  • received_910904582771443.jpeg
    received_910904582771443.jpeg
    623.9 KB · Views: 180
  • received_1739785699513174.jpeg
    received_1739785699513174.jpeg
    271.3 KB · Views: 179

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
cant tell anything by looking at a car in the dark nor can you tell much by a picture. you inspect paint jobs of painted cars in person, in broad daylight, preferably noon. you will catch every fisheye, thin paint areas, run, drip, and overspray.

slowsix

Established Member
cant tell anything by looking at a car in the dark nor can you tell much by a picture. you inspect paint jobs of painted cars in person, in broad daylight, preferably noon. you will catch every fisheye, thin paint areas, run, drip, and overspray.

Agreed.
I think I'm going to take the deal as long as the paint work is good.
Guy gave me a price I can't turn down. Fresh rebuild on the motor, polished whipple 2.9, built irs. 20k if I bring my own wheels.

SVT_JP

Established Member
If the car was not in an accident and has a clean carfax, etc. and it is a good paint job, it is only devalued if the potential buyer sees it that way. The reason most people don't want a car that does not have the original, factory paint is the fear of it being in a bad accident, why else would someone repaint the entire car the same factory color. If you are not confident in your ability to tell the quality of the repaint, you can get a paint meter to measure the depth of the paint.

zredfire04

Established Member
I'm going to repaint my car in the factory color because the clearcoat has oxidized and is peeling. There's also rock chips etc that need addressed. Going with factory color because too much work to do a proper color change.

Just one example of someone that would paint the whole car without an accident. 16 year old paint...

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm going to repaint my car in the factory color because the clearcoat has oxidized and is peeling. There's also rock chips etc that need addressed. Going with factory color because too much work to do a proper color change.

Just one example of someone that would paint the whole car without an accident. 16 year old paint...

The Laser Red paint on my 98 still really pops (I've seen quite a few pink Laser Red cars), but it has its share of scratches and dings. I'm planning a repaint in my near future as well, and it will definitely be the original 3 stage Laser Red. It's just a great color.
I've seen the 2 stage and it's just not as brilliant, and a tad darker.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
IMO the quality of the re-paint could be a key factory. The factory paint isn't prime, so a quality re-paint of the same color can be a plus. I would check out the paint job closely. And the rest of the car.

Venom351R

Established Member
I plan on a full re paint of mine in the future. Parts of it were re painted prior to me getting it due to color fade in the sun and the blend job was not that great and the trunk lid has some paint imperfections, it also has a few rock chips. What ever shop did it was not that good at all. We have some good quality paint shops around here and when the time comes it will get a full repaint in torch red

slowsix

Established Member
So after talking to the guy more, I'm going to probably pull the trigger on the car as long as the paint work is good.
Built motor, whipple 2.9, built irs.
I'll give it a thorough inspection, and probably bring a paint depth checker with me.
Going to give me a price I probably can't pass up.

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
My car will need a print in the near future. It's a 98 vert Cobra, Rio Red.

When I repaint it, I'll take pictures of the before and after to show the reason for the repaint. Why don't more people do that? Seems simple enough to me.

ccq8le

Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Party Liquor Posse
I had mine repainted this last winter. Due to rock chips and just wanted it done.

Was very happy with it and still am.

Here is a few pics. I know I have shared before on other threads......so here is some i don't think I posted that shows a bit before and after.
20190915_210711.jpeg
20191015_125606.jpeg
20190910_114404.jpeg
20190910_114406.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G965U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread