Rented a Hertz Shelby GT

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
I flew into LAX a couple of weeks ago and rented a Shelby GT from Hertz. It was $99.95 per day, so I figured I'd give it a try for 24 hours.

It's pretty cool looking in person. The paint scheme works well, and that's coming from someone who wouldn't own a black car if you gave it to me. The hood scoop (is that what you would call it?) was a little different, but everything else looked nice. It especially looks good from the front...

HertzShelbyGT.jpg

This was the first new Mustang I had ever really looked at or driven. The car felt much more solid than my '03 Cobra. It was also more comfortable. It may be heavier, but it sure didn't feel that way.

All the Hertz Shelbys have automatic transmissions, so I was expecting the car to be a slug. Other than a slight delay from the throttle (due to the drive-by wire?), the car had surprisingly good acceleration. It could probably have spun the tires...IF the traction control button wasn't disabled. What's up with that?!?! I want my money back!!! :lol1:

When you rent one of these, they don't just toss you the keys and tell you the car is in parking space #10. A manager will walk you out to the car, and then go over a big checklist (see image below) of stuff on the car, mainly verifying that things aren't missing. They even pop the hood and make sure the air filter and Shelby nameplate is in place. The strut tower brace had a wire tie attached to the engine... I guess to make sure someone wouldn't take the brace off?

After they give you a short lecture about making sure you can "handle the power" and only filling the car with premium, you will be allowed to drive off. And when you return the car, they go through the same check-list. You can't get a receipt for the rental until a manager checks off everything.

So the bottom line is, if you're in a hurry, think twice about renting one of these things. The extra scrutiny they give these cars adds 10-15 minutes to the time required at the Hertz lot. Otherwise, it was a blast. If you're going to spend $35 to rent a 4-door commuter car, you might as well pony up the extra bones and rent this thing. It's worth it. :thumbsup:

Here's the Shelby GT inspection form Hertz uses:

Hertz_Form.jpg

Last edited:

RSXFMCJWR

Benchracer Extraordinaire
Established Member
wonder if there is an easy way to enable the traction control switch that when removed before returning it, won't be easily seen as tampered with.

Juice33

Patently Awesome
Established Member
Sweet! Next time bring an SCT Tuner! Plug it in and play!

xilix

Too Stock
Established Member
They only allow you to put premium in a motor that was designed to run on 87? That makes a lot of sense. How the hell would they know what kind of fuel you put in it? I doubt they're gonna test the octane when you bring it back.

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
xilix said:
They only allow you to put premium in a motor that was designed to run on 87? That makes a lot of sense. How the hell would they know what kind of fuel you put in it? I doubt they're gonna test the octane when you bring it back.

Its got a different tune...it needs premium...

Juice33

Patently Awesome
Established Member
Top_Fuel said:
Now you tell me! :-D

Pic added! :coolman:

My bad!:-D

I saw one for sale a week or two ago for around $90,000!:smmon:

stmoney11

DSG Lightning
Established Member
I really like the way those look compared to a regular GT, seems like it would be fun to rent when on a short trip.

1Day-ACobra

I'm workin on it
Established Member
I was planning on doing the same this weekend; Im going down to south beach. My girlfriend and I are both 23, and as far as I know under 25 your selection is restricted with the GT-H being one of those restricted cars.

Also 99 bucks is cheap. At the Hertz in Ft. Lauderdale it was like 110.

Anyway glad you liked it, looks like a fun ride. We're going to have to settle for an SUV of some kind...

Kysnake03

Established Member
Did you rent this local, in the same state you live ? When they 1st came out, I read you could only rent them out of state, if thats not the case anymore I may have to rent one!

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I saw one running at the strip during Fun Ford Weekend here in Cali.

I shoulda have sent a picture to Hertz for the reward :pepper:

03CobraBro

Established Member
xilix said:

Shame on your for not using premium anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread