Rented a Hertz Shelby GT

WraithCobra

Don't want a GT500
Established Member
Um, it may require premium fuel but as a manufactured passenger car per US law it has to be able to run on regular and pass emissions while doing so. There are plenty of rentals that require premium per the manufacturer but are filled with regular every day. Even the supercharged Cobras can run regular on the factory tune, with a loss of performance but with no harm to the engine. Ford can require the use of premium, but can not deny warranty coverage if regular is found in the tank.

EnglishAdam

Established Member
Cool :thumbsup:

Last time I was in California, I rented a convertible Mustang because I had a couple of free days.
One of my dreams was always to cruise the PCH in a vert.
OK, it was only the V6 but I drove from Huntington Beach to Frisco with the top down and the crusin' choons up :rockon:

So, been there, done that and next time though, it will be the GT350H :D

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Kysnake03 said:
Did you rent this local, in the same state you live? When they 1st came out, I read you could only rent them out of state...
I remember hearing that, too. I don't know if it's true or not. This was not a local rental as I'm not from California.

And for the premium fuel , remember that premium fuel in California is only 91 octane. :shrug:

I didn't have this car reserved ahead of time. I was just BS'ing with the guy behind the Hertz counter and happened to mention a Shelby to him. He said they had a couple available if I was interested, so I upgraded my Focus. :-D

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Top_Fuel said:
This was the first new Mustang I had ever really looked at or driven. The car felt much more solid than my '03 Cobra. It was also more comfortable. It may be heavier, but it sure didn't feel that way.

it is lighter than the stock 03 cobra coupe. it is heavier than the 04 mustang gt.:burnout:

nothingelse

03SilverSnake
Established Member
My buddy rented one of them when he went to cali a few months ago. They took it to an old airport drag strip and had some fun with it. He liked it overall except the traction control was locked. He said there was some kind of lock washer on it that would not let them turn it off. I think they look pretty sweet but i would never pay 90,000 for one.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
red03cobra said:
They are now selling them in Black or white!
HERE is a link to an article about them. MSRP of $35K? :eek: Can't wait to see the mark-up on those! :-D

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
red03cobra said:
They are now selling them in Black or white!

those arent GT-H, but basically the same thing. the GT-H will have the rarity.

both the white and black ones come with silver stripes.

my buddy's dad rented a GT-H and was charged something like $6-700 for new rear tires.

man, when i was stuck at Balt airport on a Sunday night and needed a car they charged me $90(w/ tax etc) for a stupid grand marquis :cuss: gave me some bs about cars being more expensive on the weekend. :rollseyes
i wanted to rent one of these shelbys while i was in Balt/DC for a week but they didnt have any :shrug: i did get a charger R/T though. i had fun lighting those tires up :burnout:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Top_Fuel said:
HERE is a link to an article about them. MSRP of $35K? :eek: Can't wait to see the mark-up on those! :-D

What is THIS about??

"While both the Power Pack and Handling Pack are available to anyone willing to visit the Ford Racing catalog (or Web site), the Shelby GT's styling modifications are not so easily replicated. They begin with a pair of silver Le Mans racing stripes painted over either a white or black coupe (no convertible versions are planned). "

Shelby GT = painted

Shelby GT500 = stickers?

:dw:

Sonic Blue GT

Banned
Has anyone actually taken one of the Shelby GT-H's to a dyno and got the actual HP and TQ numbers? The mags are only reporting the "propaganda" marketing numbers and not the REAL numbers.

It would be interesting to know to have a standard to compare our personal modified GT's to.

Users who are viewing this thread