Removing Timing Cover

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
technically no, you don't have to pull the valve covers. i would recommend loosening them at least so you can lift on them just a hair. that way the vc gasket will clear the edge of the timing cover. otherwise it can snag and pull the gasket off...

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Don't forget the puller to get the dampner off. I just remember lots and lots of bolts. But I pulled mine off with the motor out of the car.

01 Venom

Established Member
ya you will need a good pulley puller set for more then just the Lower pulley, you will need it for the power steering also. Like Nick said, at least loosen the valve covers, I pulled the passenger one off and loosened the Drivers side.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
it should also be known that you don't necessarily have to remove the ps pulley. you need to unbolt the pump anyway, so you might as well just leave the pulley on. it's 4 bolts total, and you leave all the lines attatched. one bolt you'll really want a ratcheting 10mm combo wrench, but it's super easy. i've done this 3 times now on mine and countless on others when i pull motors out...

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
^ you are good man! i am almost done replacing the front cover gaskets on my 4.6 2v truck, and i had a tough enough time getting those ps pump bolts off, even without the pulley on there! like you say a ratcheting combo wrench is mandatory for that one bolt because it's blocked by one of the lines

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
I sent him a PM with some directions,
but I did forget about unbolting the PS pump from the block.
I thought about it but forgt to write it.

text:

Disconnect the battery before you do anything, then:

1: Remove coil covers and coils (Might want to remove plugs, not if you are careful)

2: Unbolt cam covers and support somewhere in the center to raise it off the head.

3:unbolt PS reservoir bracket from head and set aside
3a: remove PS pump from the engine block (3 or 4 bolts)
May not need to drain fluid

4:Unplug cam sensor

5: Loosen water pump pulley bolts
(belt still on, makes it easier)

6: Remove serpentine belt

7: remove WP pulley

8: Loosen AC compressor bolts, slide compressor away from block, unplug crank sensor

9: Remove two nuts holding harness to starter motor solenoid

10: Remove bolt holding starter harness to block (for slack)

11: Remove 4 front oil pan bolts

12: remove 2 nuts holding starter harness to front timing cover studs

13: Remove center crankshaft bolt (18mm?)

14: remove crankshaft damper w/puller

15: Make a cardboard template to place removed timing cover studs.
Put holes in it to put the studs and nuts, bolts. It is easy to mix them up.

16: Remove timing cover bolts, nuts studs, placing them into your cardboard "roadmap"

17: Remove timing cover

Last edited:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
15: Make a cardboard template to place removed timing cover studs. Put holes in it to put he studs and nuts, bolts. It is easy to mix them up.

16: Remove timing cover bolts, nuts studs, placing them into your cardboard "roadmap"

thats a great idea! :beer:

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
^ you are good man! i am almost done replacing the front cover gaskets on my 4.6 2v truck, and i had a tough enough time getting those ps pump bolts off, even without the pulley on there! like you say a ratcheting combo wrench is mandatory for that one bolt because it's blocked by one of the lines
exactly! you know the one lol!

and good call birdman941 on keeping the bolts in order. i always do something like that too, that way all the studs end up where they're supposed to...

01greycobra

Built and Blown!
Established Member
Thanks for all the help and th pm birdman! im at the point where im ready to remove crank pulley and start removal. just waiting on remainder of parts to arrive this weekend.

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
Yes, it is right hand thread.
There is another way, but it's pretty shade tree.
PM me if you want to know.

Users who are viewing this thread