Removing the Headlight for Dragracing. Who does it?

v8killr4u

Established Member
How many of you remove the passenger side headlamp when drag racing your car at the strip? Do you think it make any difference in performance. Just curious. I never do but see people that do remove theirs all the time. Does this create a Ram AIR Effect? Is it worth any HP gains or no not really.

metaman

Established Member
IT is not going to cause a ram air effect. Ram air only works on naturally aspirated cars because it creates positive pressure in the intake at high speeds. Because our cars are supercharged we have mechanical ram air. It will drop intake temperatures if you are running an air filter inside the engine compartement because of the fresh air the engine is sucking through the hole. So there will be a slight difference in performance.

mosconiac

Established Member
Although I have no empirical data to support this, I will offer this opinion. Its probably a wash.

IF it gives some relative benefit from a hp perspective, its probably only at low speeds where the underhood temp is normally high. Once you begin moving, the underhood temps plummet to near ambient. Therefore, it would only provide a benefit at low speeds (launch). How much benefit can a few more hp get you at launch?

The real question is, how much do you lose by doing this...as in aerodynamic disadvantage. Do you gain a small amount at the starting pad only to give it all away (and more) as you run thru the traps? Does one dominate the other?

EDIT: The above assumes the car is running an underhood filter. If a true CAI is utilized, I can see NO benefit.

Last edited:

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
I generally see 1-2mph increases with the headlight removed. I have no data to support that such as reduced IAT2's and such...just reporting my personal experience. It must reduce intake temps. I'm running a JLT RAI too so the outside air whooshes right into it.

"Ram Air" is a joke BTW...good marketing ploy IMO though. We have a real ram air setup with our blowers.

MyT-Mouse

Established Member
I run a JLT RAI setup and pull my headlight when I run at the track. It's a direct path to the intake and in theory should lower IAT throughout the run.

pj_rage

Mustang Enthusiast
Established Member
mosconiac said:
Although I have no empirical data to support this, I will offer this opinion. Its probably a wash.

IF it gives some relative benefit from a hp perspective, its probably only at low speeds where the underhood temp is normally high. Once you begin moving, the underhood temps plummet to near ambient. Therefore, it would only provide a benefit at low speeds (launch). How much benefit can a few more hp get you at launch?

The real question is, how much do you lose by doing this...as in aerodynamic disadvantage. Do you gain a small amount at the starting pad only to give it all away (and more) as you run thru the traps? Does one dominate the other?

EDIT: The above assumes the car is running an underhood filter. If a true CAI is utilized, I can see NO benefit.
I would tend to agree, but I wonder if the heat created under WOT in the engine bay raises the temperature at a rate that is same or higher than the decrease in temperature caused by movement? There would be more air flowing around in the bay while moving (especially fast), but the heat created may outweigh it, hence increasing intake temps (no cai), and the headlight removal may help :shrug:

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
I picked up 1-2mph pulling my headlight out. I have a Steeda CAI with an S&B filter on it. So its a direct shot @ the filter because its not capped off.

bender460

Established Member
IT is not going to cause a ram air effect. Ram air only works on naturally aspirated cars because it creates positive pressure in the intake at high speeds. Because our cars are supercharged we have mechanical ram air. It will drop intake temperatures if you are running an air filter inside the engine compartment because of the fresh air the engine is sucking through the hole. So there will be a slight difference in performance.

I also run without a headlight with a S&B. I would think any thing that raises the air pressure over atmospheric is ram air regardless if it is supercharged or not. The benefits may be different but all are good. I myself can not verify any gain or loss with the headlight removed. It may very well be a wash between better power and less aerodynamics. :shrug:

v8killr4u

Established Member
How do you unplug the headlamp. What wires and bolts. dumb question i know but just wantd to ask, going to the strip again to see what happens.

Fdawg97lx

Established Member
v8killr4u said:
How do you unplug the headlamp. What wires and bolts. dumb question i know but just wantd to ask, going to the strip again to see what happens.

open the hood theres two black slider pins that hold it in, u cant miss them. remove those and the head light housing will pop right out. unplug the headlight and parking light and thats all. no tools required.

Frank

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
I pick up about 1 mph, with the steeda cai when I do this. I wonder if this causes you to run leaner or not?

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
Of course it works..it's worth 1-2 MPH easily. If you had a fender mounted CAI though, you wouldn't have to waste your time.

Users who are viewing this thread