Removing Stripes. Who has?

C.Stanley

Infidel
Established Member
I will be removing my current stripes to replace with a new stripe. I was told the stripes remove easily with a little heat so that is not my concern. My question is how much of a color difference am i going to be looking at when i remove the stripes? The factory gap between stripes are 1" and i am going to a 1.5" gap so you will see about 1/4" of the covered area. The car has been garaged most of its life and currently has 18K miles.

Also what is the best way to correct? Thanks

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
I did not notice any difference when I removed the OEM stripes off my 2012. It had around 9K miles on it at the time.

I set my car out on a warm sunny day for a couple hours and the OEM stripes peeled right off with no problems at all.

Also, if you are going to install new stripes I would highly suggest adding 1/4" pinstripes to the outside edges of the main stripes. The pinstripes really improve the overall look of the stripes.

gBDKZb7.jpg

FastFord58

Established Member
I removed mine this summer. You may notice discoloration where you remove the stripe. In my case, it was lighter in color under the stripe. This is usually due to solvents in the glue rather than finish changes from sunlight.

A cut and polish was all that was needed to bring the car to color. The worst part was on the rear bumber. We had to heat the plastic as we polished to leach the glue solvents out. It's not something you do if you are inexperienced at polishing as we basically brought it right to the point where any more heat would burn the clear.

C.Stanley

Infidel
Established Member
Thanks for the info guys. Cat is currently setting outside in the sun. Going to attempt to remove the factory stripes shortly. Any secrets in removing from the spoiler and from under the "SHELBY" on the deck lid?

rfugio68

Established Member
Removing my stripes was a complete pita, the vinyl would not come off in one piece and there was a lot of adhesive residue (i damaged the clear coat on my bumper trying to take the adhesive off)

Regarding removing them under the shelby lettering, you either cut around them or just remove the emblems. I recommend removing the emblems.

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
Removing my stripes was a complete pita, the vinyl would not come off in one piece and there was a lot of adhesive residue (i damaged the clear coat on my bumper trying to take the adhesive off)

Regarding removing them under the shelby lettering, you either cut around them or just remove the emblems. I recommend removing the emblems.

Weird, I've heard of damaging the clear coat as well as just peeling off the paint accidently, but that is pretty rare...generally with a heat-gun, or hair-dryer and...well, personally I use fishing line, you should be able to work off the stripes easily without hurting paint. :read: I did however do it in 101f sun. Makes it a heck of a lot easier. On my Challenger I ripped off the front carbon fiber hood stripes and it was 91f...peeled off fine by hand.

Just park it in the sun.

Last edited:

C.Stanley

Infidel
Established Member
All the stripes are off and came off pretty easy with patience and a heat gun. However what is the best way to remove them from under the Shelby lettering and the faux cap? Also it you say remove the lettering what is the best way to re attach the lettering? Thanks Guys

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
All the stripes are off and came off pretty easy with patience and a heat gun. However what is the best way to remove them from under the Shelby lettering and the faux cap? Also it you say remove the lettering what is the best way to re attach the lettering? Thanks Guys

I removed both when I took off the my stripes. Use strong fishing line and "saw" back and forth.

The letters came off easy, the faux cap was a royal pain in the ass. The cap had a lot of strong two sided tape under it.

When I put it all back on, I used 3M two sided automotive tape:
http://3mauto.com/3m-super-strong-automotive-attachment-tape-03609.html

C.Stanley

Infidel
Established Member
Faux cap was a huge pain in the ass but I finally got it. Very minimal discoloration but I'my going to go ahead and try to find a shop to polish it out tomorrow.
I am really liking the deleted stripe look.

image.jpg

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
I say leave the stripes off. I purposely bought a 08 Vista Blue with stripe delete after dealing with two other mustangs with stripes. If you do put stripes back on agree with the member above with the black pin stripes, they look bad ass, especially on a red car

C.Stanley

Infidel
Established Member
Thanks for the input guys. The car is getting polished Saturday and I will probably leave the stripes off for now. Really sucks though because I just paid $400 for the new kit.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Hell of a dead thread res.

As for the stripes, the older they get the more fragile the material is.

I found a plastic razor and heating the stripe up and letting it cool a bit out of the sun (shade) helped me take more off in larger chunks.

Users who are viewing this thread