removing locking lug nuts without key

Sethsual

Established Member
So I got some new rubber in today. Eager to swap out the old tires, I got the jack and tire iron out. As I start turning lugs, I realize one is different than the rest. Closer inspection reveals some type of locking lug nut that I haven't encountered before. I hollered at the previous owner, who claims the key for them went with the car. I've been through the car, front to back and top to bottom, and guarantee it wasn't there when I took ownership.

I ran up to AutoZone and grabbed a lug nut remover (with reverse threads), but decided against using it. So, here I am. Does anyone have any experience with these lug nuts? More specifically, can anyone point me in the direction of where to purchase a replacement key?

AUMhgvF.jpg

Xbnngks.jpg

Sethsual

Established Member
Why not use the tool from auto zone?

For starters, it appears to require an impact for proper use. I lack an impact. When I did attempt to use it, I used some gentle persuasion via a mallet. I was too worried I'd damage the threads on the lug remover and/or have the remover seize up on the nut. I decided to save it for a last resort, only to be used once I've exhausted all of my other options. I'd definitely prefer to keep the lug nuts and simply purchase a replacement key.

Sadly, the previous owner advised me that they were on the car when he purchased it, so he isn't even aware of what brand they are. So far, my google-fu has failed me in finding a similar style of locking lug nut.

BO TY KLR

Established Member
Hard to tell from pic. Have you tried to pound on a socket that is slightly smaller than lugnut? I've had success doing that.

JuStAkId

Just roll with it
Established Member
For starters, it appears to require an impact for proper use. I lack an impact. When I did attempt to use it, I used some gentle persuasion via a mallet. I was too worried I'd damage the threads on the lug remover and/or have the remover seize up on the nut. I decided to save it for a last resort, only to be used once I've exhausted all of my other options. I'd definitely prefer to keep the lug nuts and simply purchase a replacement key.

Sadly, the previous owner advised me that they were on the car when he purchased it, so he isn't even aware of what brand they are. So far, my google-fu has failed me in finding a similar style of locking lug nut.

Yes you need an impact to use the tool. It will not damage the threads but the lock will be junk.
To me it looks like a locking lug that come in a kit at autozone. Like gorilla brand?
Believe it of not I do not think it is a locking lug nut rather a Spline Drive Lug Nut
Best of luck

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Hard to tell from pic. Have you tried to pound on a socket that is slightly smaller than lugnut? I've had success doing that.

This REALLY is what you need to do OP. Make sure it's a six point impact socket. Make sure it pounds on REAL tight. The pounding of the socket onto the lock has a loosening effect on the lock. You will not need an impact gun to remove it. Just a breaker bar.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

stradt03

Established Member
This REALLY is what you need to do OP. Make sure it's a six point impact socket. Make sure it pounds on REAL tight. The pounding of the socket onto the lock has a loosening effect on the lock. You will not need an impact gun to remove it. Just a breaker bar.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

The man speaks the truth, I've removed near a dozen locking lug nuts using this method.

SlowSVT

Established Member
You might want to call around to some tire shops it's likely they run into this stuff all the time and may make your life easier. What ever you do proceed very carefully mistakes here will only make things worse.

THunterW

SGTSVT & SVTSGT
Established Member
Any luck, OP? Definititely looks like a rounded-off spline drive lug nut, like was mentioned above. Bruce's method should get you rolling again soon.

Sethsual

Established Member
I did have some luck, yes. I tried a tire shop in town and they gave me what they thought would work. It didn't work. I ended up borrowing a buddy's impact and using the lug nut removers. It took considerably more than expected, but they eventually came off.

mhinchley

Established Member
Did you get them off? Sears sells stripped nut removal sockets........and I will look up the info if still needed. They work like a charm and won't break the bank. I am an aerospace machinist & had my doubts, but they worked on old, rounded, rusted nuts, that I could not otherwise get off without welding.

Last edited:

93stang5.0

Established Member
OP, I ran across the same problem and I used a Easy Out Extractor for nuts. I found them at my local parts store I believe Hanson was the brand. GL

fleshmcfilth123

Established Member
I have McGard locks and ended up unintentionally leaving the key on the lock when I finished putting my wheels on last week. The key fell off and when I went to go do my brake job yesterday I had to do some searching. The locks are perfectly round just like those, but I hit them with PB Blaster and hammered a slightly-too-small socket on to them. I took my time and had them all off within 10 minutes, with no damage to the socket or the locks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread