Removing firewall insulator pad?

GHIG'13

Established Member
So, went to a car show today, just to spectate, and decided to check everything out under the hood. Upon inspection I realized that a rat has been chewing at my firewall insulator pad. I checked the wife's car and hers is chewed up too. My question is, is there a downside to just removing the pad as a new one is between $170-$250. Thanks for the help.

Mustangfresk196

Established Member
I would assume you would hear a little more noise from the engine bay. As far as acting as some kind of fire protection I have no idea.

GHIG'13

Established Member
I would assume you would hear a little more noise from the engine bay. As far as acting as some kind of fire protection I have no idea.

Thanks man, I'm not worried about extra noise just wasn't sure if it would increase the amount of heat inside the cabin. I live in Louisiana and the heat is bad enough like it is, lol. Thanks again.

GHIG'13

Established Member
Took mine off and haven't noticed any changes except the engine compartment looking better. :)

Good deal, looks like thats what I will be doing then. $200 a piece for two of them had me bummed since I am saving for a turbo kit and need all the extra money I can get for that. Thanks for some first hand experience.

99arboC

Established Member
I removed mine because something tore mine up. Looks better without it and did notice any new noise or heat. Also it would be a real pain to install a new one.

1697F822-BCE5-4919-90ED-262F834D1D3F_zps0orcei8t.jpg

BigGib

I know this is an old thread, but I just bought a 2012 RTR that had the same problem. I'm considering just removing the cowl insulation. Just curious how hard this was for anyone that did it?

nyuk98GT

Established Member
BigGib,

Welcome to the forums, neighbor! :)

The blanket is held in place by large (approx. 1" dia.) plastic pushpins. These things can be tough to pull out. You should use a proper pin removal tool (they're inexpensive and very handy) and because you are prying the pin out, it is recommended to use a piece of wood (may been several of different sizes to fit between the bracing) against the hood to protect the thin metal from deforming. Take your time and don't force anything - unless you have a PDR wizard in the family.

Be advised that the insulating blanket is still on my hood and has never been removed from the car. My experience with hood blankets goes back to a couple of previous vehicles where the blankets needed some cleaning up (and there were leaves and stuff on the top side of the blankets). I used pliers on the first bunch of plastic pins and wrestled out the plugs. Not elegant. And when if (when) the plug breaks then the pin part can remain in the bracing or it may fall out of an opening as you drive. The proper tool makes it easier :D.

Here is a YT vid showing the generic steps: LINK

Since you're local, what color is your RTR? Did you buy it locally? Modding plans? Please post up some pics of your new ride!

HTH,

Chris

Last edited:

BigGib

Hey Chris, thanks! It's sterling grey and mostly stock. I have an off-road x on the way and going with an ngauage and Lund 93 tune. Also on the hunt for a new splitter.

Sorry if my post was confusing, but I'm actually looking for info on the firewall insulation, not the hood. Mine apparently got chewed up by something at some point when the previous owner had it, so just looking to clean it up. Just want to know what all it entails before I give it a go.

Attachments

• Attach0_20210104_214828.jpg
    Attach0_20210104_214828.jpg
    372.6 KB · Views: 173

nyuk98GT

Established Member
BigGib,

Lol at my poor reading skills. Firewall, not hood. Got it. Sorry for my long post about the wrong blanket. :oops:

I will poke around for info on the firewall blanket. It's a very congested area compared to the hood! :)

Thanks for the pic - she's gorgeous. I'll keep an eye out for that rumbly Sterling Grey RTR!

Chris

nyuk98GT

Established Member
BigGib,

OEM RTR front splitters are scarce as hen's teeth. eBay has one or two but they are not priced to sell. I had bookmarked this site (below) as it offers high quality splitters and the metal support brackets:

LiquiVinyl Aerodynamics

The downside is that you'll need deep pockets.

If you're handy, you can buy your own sheet of ABS and use a router to whip up a nice replacement splitter. It ought to be pretty straightforward if you have an old splitter that you can use as a pattern.

There are other aero companies offering splitters but they live on Facebook so I don't have access (lol).

HTH,

Chris

BigGib

BigGib,

OEM RTR front splitters are scarce as hen's teeth. eBay has one or two but they are not priced to sell. I had bookmarked this site (below) as it offers high quality splitters and the metal support brackets:

LiquiVinyl Aerodynamics

The downside is that you'll need deep pockets.

If you're handy, you can buy your own sheet of ABS and use a router to whip up a nice replacement splitter. It ought to be pretty straightforward if you have an old splitter that you can use as a pattern.

There are other aero companies offering splitters but they live on Facebook so I don't have access (lol).

HTH,

Chris

Thanks Chris!

Yeah I've had no luck getting ahold of liquid vinyl, that was originally what I planned on but might keep looking. I want to make sure it will work with the CDC spoiler I have now

Users who are viewing this thread