Removing Brake Calipers

jfclague

Established Member
I am going to have my brake calipers powder-coated. Is there anything special you need to do to remove the calipers? I haven't removed brake calipers before so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
I would think you'd need to completely disassemble them because the seals, etc won't stand up to the >400° F temps...

big job but I bet the results will be worth it....POST PICS! :)

Last edited:

Coyote 5.0

Member BED Racing
Established Member
Fronts are really easy. C clamp to compress the piston and one c clip to remove then the one pin and off it comes

The rear is a little more involved because of the E brake but not really difficult.

I heard that you have to be careful not to drain all the fluid out of the ABS unit or bleeding them will be near impossible at home so either clamp the brake hoses or try wrapping so duct tape around the open line and tie them up so fluid doesn't drain.

See if anyone else has better knowlege as to the bleeding procedure.

oldmodman

Established Member
There is an old trick to keep your brake fluid from draining out when your calipers are off. We used to take a stick and put it between the seat and the brake pedal to push it partway down. This covered up the holes in the master cylinder so the brake fluid wouldn't leak out. It should still work on our cars since the master cylinders still work in the same manner.

wicked03snake

Established Member
my rear caliper pistons on the cobra didnt compress in with a clamp. you have to use the little cube brake tool and ratchet them in. i havent done the front yet though

Users who are viewing this thread