Removing a clutch pilot bearing with Olive Garden garlic bread

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
We wrapped the threads on a bolt with duct tape until it was a tight fit in the bore of the pilot bearing.

Enjoy!

[video=youtube;wFtpk3Z7ps0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFtpk3Z7ps0[/video]

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
yep, did that with the cheapest bread I could get at the corner store, took about 3 pieces. I used a 3/8 extension, the end that would go on a ratchet is a pretty good fit.

mustanginky

Established Member
I used wet paper towels and a large bolt. Worked like a charm. Was surprised it worked like it did. Took a good 10 minutes of hammering and I think 4-5 towels.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
i learned a dead blow hammer doesnt work so well for this though, I got part way through and it didnt wanna go anymore...thought Id been fooled by internet BS. I got a mini sledge and it popped it right out

SlowSVT

Established Member
Golly Bruce that's mighty redneck of you. I'm a bit confused you did say you're from Wisconsin not Macon County :??:

............ does this method work with scones?

oldmodman

Established Member
Bruce, I used PlayDoh a couple of times. Worked just fine too.

And I also tried putting an M-80 in there and packing it in with PlayDoh. Worked great but it REALLY LOUD! (we tested it on an old Chevy engine that was lying in a friends driveway)

Voodooo413

Established Member
I always used grease. Pack it full with a grease gun and use an extension or snug fitting socket. Couple taps of a hammer and pop it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Golly Bruce that's mighty redneck of you. I'm a bit confused you did say you're from Wisconsin not Macon County :??:

............ does this method work with scones?

We were going to make a hook for my slide hammer but the guys wanted to try this. I was a pretty hard core NASCAR fan way back when we used to get garage passes all the time so I guess you could say I'm a bit of a a redneck. ;-)

I would say a scone should work. Or even liver sausage!! :poke::lol:

03' White Snake

Established Member
My buddy has an actual pilot bearing puller I used. It actually ripped out the inner race only on mine, then I used it again to pull out the outer race of the bearing. I thought I was screwed, but it came right out.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
the best one I've found is otc 7318. puts the load against the crank itself. no fuss, no muss!

61GaMF4kGsL__SY355_.jpg

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member

Bigggy

Established Member
Haha that's something! I've done mine once with grease and paper towel, never imagine how much it would take stuff in there to push the bearing out.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
When we tried to use a slide hammer, the space didn't permit the slide hammer to be perpendicular to the bearing. It was at a downward angle and just ripped the inner race out. We ended up borrowing the OTC tool and the rest popped right out.

thats why I tried the bread trick, everything I had seen talked about it ripping out the inner portion then your stuck getting the outer portion out.

Users who are viewing this thread